Railroad Forums 

• Metro is looking to dump 2k/3k/6k trains early

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1450948  by Chris Brown

I wonder why they are getting rid of 6k's. I thought WMATA planned to eventually overhaul the 6k cars at mid-life.

Do you think they will use the 8k order to replace everything left and send the 6k's into early retirement? Makes me wonder if all of the fleet (except for the 7k's) have similar safety issues that were found with the 1k's and WMATA wants to get rid of them all before another crash happens.....
 #1450983  by STrRedWolf

Well... how dissimilar are the 2K's, 3K's, and 6K's to the 7K's? It looks like they'll standardize on the 7K's. Assuming the 8K's are compatible, and that both 7/8K's are going to have better control than the 2/3/6...

Wait. I think I know why.

Think about this: Everything is still manual operation, right? The only way for WMATA to resume automatic train operation (ATO) is to replace the entire signalling system to something much more modern that matches the tech that's in the 7K's, and is *incompatible* with the 2/3/6's. To retrofit the 2/3/6's, they would essentially need to be rebuilt from the frames up.

Ether the rebuild would cost *more* per car than just buying 300 new 8K series all at once, or they're hearing horror stories from the rebuild Maryland MTA is doing to their Light Rail vehicles and don't want to go through delays in getting the rebuilt equipment's bugs out.
 #1451045  by davinp

Why get rid of the 6000's? They are only 11 years old, in good shape and reliable (unlike the 5000 series)?
Alstom built the 6000 series and rehabilitated the 2000/3000 series cars. Metro has 184 6000 series cars.
We knew that Metro had planned to replace all the 5000 series with the new 7000 series since they are so unreliable, instead of rehabilitating them.

One problem with having several different model of railcars is higher maintenance costs. So, if they only had one or two, that would lower maintenance costs.
 #1451059  by Chris Brown

davinp wrote:Why get rid of the 6000's? They are only 11 years old, in good shape and reliable (unlike the 5000 series)?
Alstom built the 6000 series and rehabilitated the 2000/3000 series cars. Metro has 184 6000 series cars.
We knew that Metro had planned to replace all the 5000 series with the new 7000 series since they are so unreliable, instead of rehabilitating them.

One problem with having several different model of railcars is higher maintenance costs. So, if they only had one or two, that would lower maintenance costs.
The 2k, 3k and 6k cars are supposed to be mechanically identical.

So once the 5k's are gone WMATA will really only have two types of cars to maintain in theory.
 #1451105  by MCL1981

That's not the entire 2/3/6k inventory. Only up to a maximum of 50 out of 362 2/3/K series, and up to a maximum of 50 out of 184 6k series. It is however the entire inventory of 5k series cars. This contract period of performance is 3-5 years.
 #1451204  by STrRedWolf

MCL1981 wrote:That's not the entire 2/3/6k inventory. Only up to a maximum of 50 out of 362 2/3/K series, and up to a maximum of 50 out of 184 6k series. It is however the entire inventory of 5k series cars. This contract period of performance is 3-5 years.
Aaaah. Anyone know how many 2/3/6's are stripped for parts and are just broken shells? I now think they're going to haul those away with the 5K's and free up some room while they have the chance.
 #1451207  by dcmike

STrRedWolf wrote: The only way for WMATA to resume automatic train operation (ATO) is to replace the entire signalling system to something much more modern that matches the tech that's in the 7K's, and is *incompatible* with the 2/3/6's. To retrofit the 2/3/6's, they would essentially need to be rebuilt from the frames up.
The underlying technology used in the 7000 series ATC system is identical to that on the 2/3000, 5000, and 6000 series cars. The only difference is the vendor. The 7000 series ATC system does not have any capabilities over and above that of any of the legacy cars.

Interestingly, the 2/3000, 5000, and 6000 series cars received a digital cab signal receiver retrofit that was completed fleet wide about 3 years ago. This was a reliability update though and did not modify how the system operates.

--------------

There have been rumblings around the agency that the relationship with Kawasaki has deteriorated to the point of Metro considering dropping the last two contract options for 7000 series and converting those orders to the forthcoming 8000 series.
 #1451440  by Chris Brown

dcmike wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:
There have been rumblings around the agency that the relationship with Kawasaki has deteriorated to the point of Metro considering dropping the last two contract options for 7000 series and converting those orders to the forthcoming 8000 series.
What caused this to happen? Was it WMATA stupidity or Kawasaki delivering defective cars?

Did NYC have a good overall experience with Kawasaski? According to this article.. NYC has recently been having problems with Kawasaki cars. However, they are having issues with other manufacturers too:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/new ... -1.3184932
 #1452573  by MCL1981

Contract termination negotiation would include reimbursement of some amount for cars not delivered. The circumstances would dictate how difficult this will be, and who is the one screwing things up.
 #1452902  by tommyboy6181

Very strange, because in early August, WMATA loved how the cars are coming along. In that article, they're projecting to possibly finish the project a year ahead of schedule. Also, the cars are meeting and exceeding their MDBD requirements.
https://wamu.org/story/17/08/01/7000-se ... ess-story/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NYC has its own issues, and I wouldn't fault Kawasaki completely on it. Their own service and maintenance forces have been deferring maintenance to where the newer cars, including the R160 cars have been performing worse. They are now piloting a refurbished car where selected components were overhauled, which will be implemented on the fleet if performance meets requirements. NYC also recently fired some of their executives and the TTC's Andy Byford is coming in to take over managing the agency.

PATH has ordered 50 more PA-5 cars from Kawasaki as of late, and the original PA-5 cars are going to have some components overhauled under scheduled maintenance.
http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_rel ... ath-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds to me that it could be someone within WMATA that likely screwed something up based on how they have managed things for many years now.
 #1453013  by Chris Brown

tommyboy6181 wrote:Very strange, because in early August, WMATA loved how the cars are coming along. In that article, they're projecting to possibly finish the project a year ahead of schedule. Also, the cars are meeting and exceeding their MDBD requirements.
https://wamu.org/story/17/08/01/7000-se ... ess-story/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NYC has its own issues, and I wouldn't fault Kawasaki completely on it. Their own service and maintenance forces have been deferring maintenance to where the newer cars, including the R160 cars have been performing worse. They are now piloting a refurbished car where selected components were overhauled, which will be implemented on the fleet if performance meets requirements. NYC also recently fired some of their executives and the TTC's Andy Byford is coming in to take over managing the agency.

PATH has ordered 50 more PA-5 cars from Kawasaki as of late, and the original PA-5 cars are going to have some components overhauled under scheduled maintenance.
http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_rel ... ath-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds to me that it could be someone within WMATA that likely screwed something up based on how they have managed things for many years now.
Hmm.. maybe its more a case of Kawasaki giving WMATA the middle finger rather than WMATA having issues with Kawasaki. And that would not surprise me at all.
 #1453314  by davinp

Metro has only 76 2K cars and none of them have been wrecked. The 2000 series cars are 35 years old, so they could consider retiring them. Though they were rebuilt by Alstrom, they don't have the all the new technologies found in the 7000 series