Railroad Forums 

• The last 1000 series car heads to the scrap yard

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1448721  by davinp

As of today, all 1000-series passenger cars (except #1000-1001 which are being preserved) have been sent to scrap yard.

https://twitter.com/wmata/status/923977269793652737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metro tweets:

We've replaced them with 7000-series cars that are even better at destroying our rails!
 #1448859  by STrRedWolf

srepetsk wrote:(Not that it matters, but the last two 1Ks were carted off to Baltimore the week ending Friday Oct 20, a few days before that PR tweet was sent out.)
Okay, where in Baltimore? B&O Railroad Museum?
 #1448936  by smallfire85

I saw 1274 & 1275 at Greenbelt on the shop track to be decommissioned the week of October 20th. I'd want to say that they were the last 1000s to be shipped out since I didn't see any others in the yard that day.

Of course there are the money train cars, but we don't get to ride those...
 #1449130  by srepetsk

smallfire85 wrote:I saw 1274 & 1275 at Greenbelt on the shop track to be decommissioned the week of October 20th. I'd want to say that they were the last 1000s to be shipped out since I didn't see any others in the yard that day.

Of course there are the money train cars, but we don't get to ride those...
Yes, that was the last 1000 married pair to leave WMATA, apart from the money trains and 1000/01.
 #1449553  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote:"STrRedWolf"

Okay, where in Baltimore? B&O Railroad Museum?

United Iron & Metal, Inc. 909 Millington Avenue off Wilkins Avenue.
I looked on Google Maps, and unfortunately the current satellite view does not have any Metro railcars in the photo. That would be a great shot, though.