Railroad Forums 

• New WMATA Railcar Numbering Pilot

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1448191  by smallfire85

I've noticed over the past couple weeks that WMATA is trying out an inverted car number design with white numbers on a black background. In addition, numbers have been added by the side doors in the car to make it more noticeable. So far, I've seen 2058 and 6174 with the new design. What do you guys think?

Sorry, I haven't learned how to post images through flickr yet, so links for now...

https://flic.kr/p/ZHij4F

https://flic.kr/p/ZCZhJS

https://flic.kr/p/CBcauu

Smallfire85
 #1448537  by Chris Brown

I think its hideous and harder to read.

WMATA needs to stop copying NYC. I shrugged it off when they designed the 7000 series to look like the R-160 trains in New York. But now they seem to be on a mission to walk in lock-step with NYC when it comes to train related matters....
 #1448664  by JDC

I prefer the current design for the exterior. But, I do appreciate them placing the car number in a larger font elsewhere in the cabin then the limited spots it is already placed.
 #1448939  by smallfire85

Chris Brown wrote:I think its hideous and harder to read.

WMATA needs to stop copying NYC. I shrugged it off when they designed the 7000 series to look like the R-160 trains in New York. But now they seem to be on a mission to walk in lock-step with NYC when it comes to train related matters....
Just so you know, WMATA's COO and Chief Safety Officer are just about fresh from NYCT. We're seeing a lot of NYC style procedures and policies being implemented here of late, with extra WMATA safety bells and whistles, of course.

I will say if Metro is going to look for an example on procedure, policy, and design, NYCT is the closest next-largest agency to refer to. MARTA in Atlanta is considered a sister agency but is seen as too small, and Baltimore and Miami are seen as too simple.
 #1448958  by Backshophoss

NYCTA is a 24 hour-365 days a year operation,and very safe operations wise as well. If this cleans up WMATA's ops and safety culture,
so much, the better for everybody!
 #1449235  by Chris Brown

Well sure.. if WMATA can learn some good safety and efficiency improvements from New York then awesome.

But I'm talking more about copying NYC just for the heck of it. I don't see how changing the numbering on the cars helps anything. It looks hideous and it's harder to read.
 #1449610  by smallfire85

Chris Brown wrote:Well sure.. if WMATA can learn some good safety and efficiency improvements from New York then awesome.

But I'm talking more about copying NYC just for the heck of it. I don't see how changing the numbering on the cars helps anything. It looks hideous and it's harder to read.
I was thinking the same thing about the visibility, until I got off car 2058 at L'Enfant Plaza. The white on black is much easier to see than the current setup in low light conditions, which is basically half the system. The inverted scheme may be harder to see outdoors during daylight, though not by much IMO. I can see this aiding emergency response in tunnels and at night, whereas right now it's not that easy to ID a specific car without a good light source.
 #1449849  by Chris Brown

smallfire85 wrote:
Chris Brown wrote:Well sure.. if WMATA can learn some good safety and efficiency improvements from New York then awesome.

I was thinking the same thing about the visibility, until I got off car 2058 at L'Enfant Plaza. The white on black is much easier to see than the current setup in low light conditions, which is basically half the system. The inverted scheme may be harder to see outdoors during daylight, though not by much IMO. I can see this aiding emergency response in tunnels and at night, whereas right now it's not that easy to ID a specific car without a good light source.
I can see that. Maybe the white numbers glow in the dark too lol.