Railroad Forums 

• VRE - Standing Means Detraining

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1436509  by JeffersonLeeEng

It looks like the authorities at the VRE are trying to come up with a solution to their passenger queuing/overcrowding problem...

http://www.vre.org/about/blog/standing- ... ont-queue/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://potomaclocal.com/2017/06/27/thos ... ng-july-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://fairfaxnews.com/2017/06/new-vre ... etraining/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[E]ffective July 3, any passenger who is standing in a doorway when the train reaches a station will be required to get off. Passengers who want to continue to ride that train will be allowed to get back on, but only after everyone who needs to detrain or board is able to do that.
 #1436604  by Literalman

I hope they enforce it this time. As a VRE commuter for 21 years (until April of this year), I've heard this before. There were times I had trouble getting off at my stop because the aisle was blocked by people standing in line for the stop after mine. And VRE stated the exact same rule: "Standing means detraining." But it wasn't true. I never saw a conductor tell standing passengers to get off and make room for people who needed to get off the train. I also heard, over and over, announcements to keep feet off the seats and railings. "We're putting our foot down," said VRE, but conductors would usually walk right past people who had their feet on the seat or railing.
 #1438174  by mmi16

Literalman wrote:I hope they enforce it this time. As a VRE commuter for 21 years (until April of this year), I've heard this before. There were times I had trouble getting off at my stop because the aisle was blocked by people standing in line for the stop after mine. And VRE stated the exact same rule: "Standing means detraining." But it wasn't true. I never saw a conductor tell standing passengers to get off and make room for people who needed to get off the train. I also heard, over and over, announcements to keep feet off the seats and railings. "We're putting our foot down," said VRE, but conductors would usually walk right past people who had their feet on the seat or railing.
Are afternoon boarding's in anyway segregated by Destination stations?
 #1439463  by davinp

I don't like seeing people standing up too early and then opening the vestibule door too early and then won't let it close

For example, I get off at Woodbridge and I see a few person who stand up right as we leave Lorton. That is too early to stand up.
The problems with standing up early:
1) You block the way when people are walking through the car including the conductor
2) You won't get to your destination any sooner because unlike Metro, VRE stations are not that close together.

Therefore there is no need to stand up at the previous station. You can wait. I prefer to wait until we get further down the road to stand up.

Also, why do people open the vestibule door before we arrive at the station and keep holding it open? Wait until we are on the platform before opening door
 #1439582  by Literalman

Boarding is not restricted at all. Some people will pick a car that will be near a platform exit, which varies depending on which station you get off at.