Railroad Forums 

• The new Long Bridge could have bike and pedestrian paths

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1454192  by Sand Box John

"D40LF"
Its interesting that NS wants to run into DC. Anyone know where they might go or what they would be carrying?

Norfolk Southern controls some of the former Conrail assets in and around The Port of Baltimore. At present they are using the Port Road to access the NEC to Baltimore.
 #1454360  by RRspatch

charding wrote:Could they go from Manassas to the NEC (at night, one presumes)

...in the deep recesses of my mind, didn't they used to run on the NEC Corridor at night along the above route?
NS did run a few test trains over the NEC way back in 2004. They ran from New Jersey down the corridor and through Washington DC.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=587#p2672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what I heard at the time Amtrak was less than thrilled at the idea of running freight trains through Union Station and the first street tunnel. With the new (and higher) Virginia Avenue tunnel now open I wonder if the NS trains (if NS ever decides to use those trackage rights again) would run that route.