Railroad Forums 

• WMATA - painting Union Station's vault ceiling

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1426171  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr- ... wrong-way/

The Washington Post got one thing wrong. Farragut North and the Orange line stations in southeast were not "painted". They were given a coating of portland cement slurry.

I am going to hold my opinion on Union Station until I see it with my own eyes.
 #1426491  by schmod

Saw this in-person on Saturday. It's bad.

If they go through with this and finish it, I hope the paint that's on the walls is only primer, because they applied the paint very inconsistently (almost like the paint was watered down or needs a second coat). Unlike the other painted vaults, the color makes no attempt to match the original -- it's a very bright (almost blueish) white that doesn't match anything else in the station's interior, and will impossible to keep clean.
 #1426564  by Sand Box John

"schmod"
Saw this in-person on Saturday. It's bad.

If they go through with this and finish it, I hope the paint that's on the walls is only primer, because they applied the paint very inconsistently (almost like the paint was watered down or needs a second coat). Unlike the other painted vaults, the color makes no attempt to match the original -- it's a very bright (almost blueish) white that doesn't match anything else in the station's interior, and will impossible to keep clean.

I saw it Sunday. The Washington Post article linked above explains that the paint job will consist of two primer coats and a finish coat. The product is pretty thick as I touched the section that's reachable on the north end wall. My guess is after finish coat is applied all of the defects in the concrete will no longer be easily visible giving the overall surface a flat and smooth appearance. To my eyes it made the station appear brighter, however when one looks closely at the edge of platform on the side that was panted it looked no brighter then the edge that had not been painted. The jury is still out for me as the job is not yet done.
 #1426596  by MCL1981

Everyone is losing their minds over the quality of a paint job that is less than 25% complete. One part of the station has one coat of primer. People need to relax. Frankly I think that one coat of primer already looks better than the bare concrete, even if it was clean.
 #1426696  by mmi16

schmod wrote:Saw this in-person on Saturday. It's bad.

Time for Michelangelo!
 #1426815  by NaugyRR

I remember the first time I rode the Metro and seeing how dark the stations were and the ceiling designs, and thinking "Man, Fallout 3 really nailed this!" Haha