Railroad Forums 

• Pedestrian tunnel from Farragut North to Farragut West

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1425455  by Chris Brown

WHAT is holding up the construction of the pedestrian tunnel between Farragut North and Farragut West that should of been built back in the 70's?

This is among one of the cheapest projects Metro can complete AND it would ease congestion at Metro Center significantly.

It was a no-brainer since the system opened. What is holding this up? Is it the usual penny pinching where we cannot spend money on "things" because things cost money?
 #1425464  by JackRussell

Chris Brown wrote:WHAT is holding up the construction of the pedestrian tunnel between Farragut North and Farragut West that should of been built back in the 70's?

This is among one of the cheapest projects Metro can complete AND it would ease congestion at Metro Center significantly.

It was a no-brainer since the system opened. What is holding this up? Is it the usual penny pinching where we cannot spend money on "things" because things cost money?
I had thought the National Park Service was to blame for this one.
 #1425488  by Chris Brown

JackRussell wrote:
Chris Brown wrote:WHAT is holding up the construction of the pedestrian tunnel between Farragut North and Farragut West that should of been built back in the 70's?

I had thought the National Park Service was to blame for this one.
That was true in the 1970's. I don't believe it is still an issue now.
 #1425569  by jcepler1

According to the metro 25th anniversary book, from 2001, the park service balked at connecting the two stations because it would have been done as a cut-and-cover. They really didn't want Farragut Square to be demolished, even temporarily.
 #1425609  by Sand Box John

"jcepler1"
According to the metro 25th anniversary book, from 2001, the park service balked at connecting the two stations because it would have been done as a cut-and-cover. They really didn't want Farragut Square to be demolished, even temporarily.

More precisely the National Park Service didn't want WMATA to move Admiral Farragut's statue. WMATA originally wanted the south end of the Farragut North platform closer to I Street so it could share the 17th and I Street entrance with Farragut West. As to the A end of the A&C connector, that would have likely connected to track A2 between the north end of the platform and the B11 turnout. With the station further south the entrance on the northeast corner of Connecticut Avenue and L Street would have likely been eliminated.

WMATA, as I have pointed out multiple times, WMATA build provisions for a future transfer tunnel between the stations.
Last edited by Sand Box John on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1425672  by Chris Brown

jcepler1 wrote:According to the metro 25th anniversary book, from 2001, the park service balked at connecting the two stations because it would have been done as a cut-and-cover. They really didn't want Farragut Square to be demolished, even temporarily.
Why does it HAVE to be a cut and cover project? Its such a small distance I can probably do it myself with a few friends and some shovels. Also, if the statue is the main issue, then simply tunnel under it while doing cut and cover over the rest.

I don't see what is so special about "preserving" Farragut Square when it will look 100% identical after the project is complete ANYWAY.

Another example of breathtaking stupidity.
 #1425723  by Sand Box John

"Chris Brown"

Why does it HAVE to be a cut and cover project? Its such a small distance I can probably do it myself with a few friends and some shovels. Also, if the statue is the main issue, then simply tunnel under it while doing cut and cover over the rest.

New Austrian Tunneling Method didn't exist back then making it very expensive engineering challenge to excavate the full width of the station under the undisturbed statue. It should be noted that the shield bored train tunnel pass on either side of the statue.

FYI, knockout the provision for the transfer tunnel are located:
Farragut North, west side of arch vault opposite of K Street entrance passageway.
Farragut West north side of arch vault opposite of 17th Street entrance passageway.

WMATA did a couple of studies on building the connection, the most resent one reinvented the wheel and included additional emergency exits, new escalators and elevators in Farragut North and new surface to platform elevators in Farragut West.
 #1425727  by Sand Box John

"inlogan"
Study and concepts from prior decade:

https://www.wmata.com/initiatives/plans ... 082304.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.wmata.com/initiatives/plans ... -02-25.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank You.