Railroad Forums 

• 20 minute headway on Red line due to rebulding

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1421076  by Chris Brown

15-20 minute headway on the red line today due to "rebuilding". I'm really getting sick and tired of this crap.

First of all, how does running trains less frequently help the rebuilding efforts? I don't see the connection. Do they do track work in between train arrivals?

I want all or nothing from Metro. Either give me normal headway or shut that part of the line down completely until you fix whatever you need to. I don't want to be waiting 20 minutes for a flippin' train.

You've got Safetrack surges and decreased weekend hours. Fine! Therefore, I expect good service for the hours Metro is actually open! That is supposed to be the trade off!
 #1421121  by STrRedWolf

Chris Brown wrote:15-20 minute headway on the red line today due to "rebuilding". I'm really getting sick and tired of this crap.

First of all, how does running trains less frequently help the rebuilding efforts? I don't see the connection. Do they do track work in between train arrivals?

I want all or nothing from Metro. Either give me normal headway or shut that part of the line down completely until you fix whatever you need to. I don't want to be waiting 20 minutes for a flippin' train.

You've got Safetrack surges and decreased weekend hours. Fine! Therefore, I expect good service for the hours Metro is actually open! That is supposed to be the trade off!
From WMATA's website, I found this:
RED LINE
Trains every 15-24 minutes | 10:00PM Friday until closing Sunday

On Saturday, trains will operate between Shady Grove & Glenmont every 24 minutes with additional trains between Shady Grove & NoMa-Gallaudet between 9:00AM-9:00PM.

On Sunday, trains will operate regular service.

Single tracking between Rhode Island Avenue & Takoma through closing Saturday to allow for switch maintenance.
That emphasis is mine. You're probably new at this, but switches (aka interlockings) tend to fail over time. The mechanisms break, motors burn out, grease turns into glue.

From that notice, I'm assuming one of the regular switches in the B06 Interlock failed recently, was hand-thrown into "straight through" to get by until the weekend, and is getting the repair now. It's on one of the regular tracks (not the B&E connector) so you're single-tracking while they're repairing.

Thus, do you cut the Redline in half and have folks reroute over the Green Line (like what happened before, and nobody likes), or do you trim service down but keep folks moving? It's the weekend, plus it's only on one track. SafeTrack involves EVERYTHING including both tracks. A four-hour repair job on a single switch on a single track? That can't even reach the very high bar of shutting down segments. Single tracking is the least inconvenient option.

(Note that I have restrained myself from asking if you use a bazooka to kill a fly... DAMMIT!)
 #1421147  by Chris Brown

mmi16 wrote:If you only had any understanding of what it takes to operate and MAINTAIN a system. QYB!
In my OP I ask questions. How about answering them instead of attacking me?

If you need a reminder. Here it is:

How does running trains less frequently help the rebuilding effort? Is track work done in-between train arrivals?
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Don't shout please.
 #1421155  by mmi16

Chris Brown wrote:In my OP I ask questions. How about answering them instead of attacking me?

If you need a reminder. Here it is:

How does running trains less frequently help the rebuilding effort? Is track work done in-between train arrivals?
Your original question only invites attacks because of your lack of knowledge of what is required to operate and run on a continuing basis a rail based transit system. Explaining it is way over your head from the manner in which you 'asked' your question!
 #1421185  by SemperFidelis

Thank you, Mister Moderator...and Mister Brown if you are, as Mister Red Wolf speculated, new to this, then welcome aboard the forum. Most people will answer most questions nicely. Don't let this little exchange sour you. All of the people involved in this topic, 20 Minute Headways, are very nice people with a ton of knowledge...except me. I know a lot about a very few things. :P Honestly, I had the same question you did because my brain forgot to deduce that the headways were a function of single tracking so that the crews could work uninterupted, rather than giving the crews a few extra minutes by running longer headways over the track that needed work. I'd be willing to bet a lot of people made the same mistake.

BTW...I love the irony demonstrated in attacking someone for lacking knowledge and having the gall to ask a question. :-)

From the movie Airplane:

"Mister, can I ask you a question?"
"A question? What is it?"
"It's an interogative statement designed to test knowledge, but that's not important right now?"

Edit: I just saw that Mister Brown has almost 200 posts, so he's been here at keast a little while...and so is probably used to responses that seem somewhat confusing. No offense intended towards anyone. I just thought the Airplane reference was kinda funny givem the situation.
 #1421195  by Chris Brown

MCL1981 wrote:So you're asking if 24 minutes between trains is more time than 6 or 12 minutes? The answer is yes.
No I'm asking this question:

Since no one is answering the question, I'm assuming you all lack as much knowledge as you claim I lack.

Cheers.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Again, please don't shout.
 #1421201  by Sand Box John

Chris,

As STrRedWolf point out above, WMATA is doing maintenance on the B06 interlocking south of the Fort Totten station. This work is requiring trains traveling in one direction to service two station over a distance of just under 3.5 miles when wrong railing. During normal operations the travel time between those two stations is 9 minutes. Single tracking will result in a 20 plus minute wait time between trains traveling in opposing directions because both trains will travel through the work zone at restricted speed and the wrong railing train will have to reduce speed when crossing over at both ends of the single tracking segment.
 #1421211  by MCL1981

Chris Brown wrote:
MCL1981 wrote:So you're asking if 24 minutes between trains is more time than 6 or 12 minutes? The answer is yes.
No I'm asking this question:

Since no one is answering the question, I'm assuming you all lack as much knowledge as you claim I lack.

Cheers.
Since you didn't read my answer, or anyone else's answer, or simply don't like the answer and want to be a jerk, I will use your method to communicate the answer to you again:

YES
 #1421215  by mmi16

And considering WMATA's lack of a safety culture they are most likely working on #1 track with trains actively passing on #2 track.
 #1421289  by Sand Box John

"mmi16"
And considering WMATA's lack of a safety culture they are most likely working on #1 track with trains actively passing on #2 track.

And why would that be an issue? WMATA been doing maintenance on one track while at the same time running revenue service on the other sense day one. Common carrier railroads have been doing it sense someone though it would be a good idea to add a second track to increase capacity.