Railroad Forums 

• Speed Restriction Between Metro Center and Chinatown

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1413210  by Chris Brown

I really want to know what is happening on the Red line between Metro Center and Chinatown going in the direction of Glenmont. It seems like every single time I ride the Red line going towards Glenmont, the train will slow down and do that annoying "gas brake gas brake" thing between Metro Center and Chinatown. This has been going on for what seems like a year now. It happens both at rush hour and off hours.

What is the issue and what is causing it to last so long?
Last edited by Chris Brown on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1413239  by Sand Box John

"RailVet"
Gas break or gas brake?

Throttle application followed by a brake application followed by another throttle application and another brake application.

Sounds to me like a combination of bad track (reason for slowing upon approach) and repeated momentary loss of cab signals.
 #1413281  by srepetsk

MCL1981 wrote:I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary. Not any more than normal poor operating handling of the controls that goes on everywhere else in the system.
Bobbing track circuit between Metro Center towards Gallery Place. It's not the operators' fault (this time, at least).
 #1413301  by Chris Brown

srepetsk wrote: Bobbing track circuit between Metro Center towards Gallery Place. It's not the operators' fault (this time, at least).
For an entire year? That is one of the shortest distances between stations on the system. Why is it taking so long to fix?
 #1413333  by srepetsk

Chris Brown wrote:For an entire year? That is one of the shortest distances between stations on the system. Why is it taking so long to fix?
Politics and contracting, as far as I'm aware. Metro says it's their fault, they say it's Metro's fault. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 #1413394  by STrRedWolf

Chris Brown wrote:
srepetsk wrote: Bobbing track circuit between Metro Center towards Gallery Place. It's not the operators' fault (this time, at least).
For an entire year? That is one of the shortest distances between stations on the system. Why is it taking so long to fix?
This is not unheard of. There's stretches of MTA Maryland's Light Rail that ATP signals tend to fade out at various times, due to how they designed the system.