Railroad Forums 

• Happenings on the MARC line

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1503468  by STrRedWolf

Train derailment today having some side effects on the Camden line as CSX cleans up north of the Howard Street Tunnel:

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimor ... t/26839449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MARC reporting Penn Line is clear, but Camden Line may be delayed due to freight congestion.
 #1503794  by davinp

dcmike wrote:Had an interesting experience over the weekend on the Penn Line.

Was riding southbound in cab car 7848 near the control stand, there was a loud bell that was intermittently but persistently ringing. A concerned passenger actually approached the control stand, opened the door, and demanded an answer from the engineer - who promptly and correctly threw the guy out. But the engineer didn't say anything except "don't worry about it, it's under control".

At the next few station stops, the train would service the station, begin to move and suddenly all the lights and HVAC went out. The train would continue rolling for a few hundred feet, the lights came back on, and the entire train started jerking (not violently but very noticeably), then continue accelerating smoothly. This happened about 3 times, then I became concerned myself and moved to the center of the train so I don't know if the bell kept ringing. Eventually completed the trip to Union Station without further problems.

What was that about?
The door cab car should be locked as passengers should not be able to access it. On VRE they lock the cab car door. In the mornings, as the train heads north to DC, the trains are driven via the cab car as the locomotive is pushing the train. Sometimes I wish I could tell the engineer to stop driving so slowly making us late and to speed up the train.
 #1503968  by Robert Paniagua

The door cab car should be locked as passengers should not be able to access it. On VRE they lock the cab car door. In the mornings, as the train heads north to DC, the trains are driven via the cab car as the locomotive is pushing the train. Sometimes I wish I could tell the engineer to stop driving so slowly making us late and to speed up the train.

Yes, they should always have the control cab access door locked and closed even if its facing as the last car outbound for obvious reasons
 #1504133  by mmi16

Robert Paniagua wrote:The door cab car should be locked as passengers should not be able to access it. On VRE they lock the cab car door. In the mornings, as the train heads north to DC, the trains are driven via the cab car as the locomotive is pushing the train. Sometimes I wish I could tell the engineer to stop driving so slowly making us late and to speed up the train.

Yes, they should always have the control cab access door locked and closed even if its facing as the last car outbound for obvious reasons
So you are in favor of the Engineer violating operating rules and conditions to keep you from being late?
 #1504206  by davinp

mmi16 wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:The door cab car should be locked as passengers should not be able to access it. On VRE they lock the cab car door. In the mornings, as the train heads north to DC, the trains are driven via the cab car as the locomotive is pushing the train. Sometimes I wish I could tell the engineer to stop driving so slowly making us late and to speed up the train.

So you are in favor of the Engineer violating operating rules and conditions to keep you from being late?
Of course not, but it is so frustrating that morning northbound VRE Fredericksburg trains are constantly delayed every morning. Train #306 was delayed everyday last week
 #1556108  by twropr

What has been happening on the Camden Line with CSX delays? About two months go the MARC Lead from Camden Station was connected to TK 3, which allows a MARC to/.from Camden to overtake a CSX between Carroll and Dorsey. Nevertheless, there have been a number of delays since then and curious minds would like to know what is going on.
Andy
 #1562284  by STrRedWolf

twropr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:22 pm Are some of the HHP-8 electrics still active on the Penn Line?
Andy
I'm kinda doubting any electrics are on the line right now... but it depends on how many diesels are on hand and how cheap it is to run WAS to Perryville and back on diesel vs electric. They got plenty of MP36's and Chargers to cover the current load, from what I could suss out of the schedule.