Railroad Forums 

• What MARC has spare for SEPTA?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1393018  by STrRedWolf

As some folks know, six MARC IIB cars (a cab and 5 passenger) were stuck on an Amtrak engine and sent up to help SEPTA with their service while they deal with an issue with all 120 Silverliner V's. GojiMet86 in the SEPTA forum here pointed out an interesting paragraph in a Philadelphia Magazine article on SEPTA's equipment issues:
In the interim, efforts to borrow additional passenger coaches and locomotives continue. Hopkins said that SEPTA is working with the Maryland Transit Administration to obtain an additional six to eight cars, for which a locomotive would need to be borrowed from Amtrak.
For me, I have to say "Wait, we actually got spare train sets that we can lease to SEPTA?!?" I know we send some to Amtrak for Thanksgiving, but just how many cars do we have spare? Just the IIA and IIB cars; the bi-levels won't fit in SEPTA's tunnels.
 #1393082  by MCL1981

I vote we let SEPTA keep those pieces of crap. In fact, let them have all of them! Buy some more multilevels for MARC, and perhaps finish certifying the ML cab cars.
 #1393462  by realtype

All of the MARC IIA's have been retired, aside from the 5 that were converted to "bike cars." With the delivery of the MARC IV's, the car shortage has turned into a surplus, giving MARC more breathing room. Although this may change as the MARC III's are sent off to Bombardier for overhaul. Hopefully the MARC IV cabs will be placed into service soon.

The MARC IIB's aren't terrible (far better than the 50-year old gallery cars purchased second hand from Metra) and were overhauled by Bombardier 4-5 years ago. Aside from the middle seat and "jump seat" they're relatively comfortable and pretty standard for single-level locomotive-hauled commuter coaches in the Northeast.
 #1393558  by MACTRAXX

RW:

Being more specific I believe the bilevels that you are referring to is the MARC Kawasaki cars. It is not the SEPTA tunnels that is the problem.
It is low wire in certain spots - especially between 30th Street and Suburban Stations - that preclude these cars from SEPTA service.

The Kawasaki cars are at least 12 inches taller then the multilevels are. SEPTA is planning to order around 35(?) MLVs along with
their ACS64 Sprinter order to replace the 8 current motors and add more capacity on certain longer routes such as Paoli-Thorndale.

Spotted tonight at Powelton Yard just west of 30th Street Station upper level: ACS64s 610 and 659 along with 5 MARC cars each back to back.
SEPTA Comet cab car 2410 was added to the 659's set. They were back-to-back visible on arriving trains from Paoli-Thorndale, Trenton and
Chestnut Hill East (which I rode from and spotted them) laid up for the overnight more then likely.

MACTRAXX
 #1393660  by STrRedWolf

MACTRAXX wrote:RW:

Being more specific I believe the bilevels that you are referring to is the MARC Kawasaki cars. It is not the SEPTA tunnels that is the problem.
It is low wire in certain spots - especially between 30th Street and Suburban Stations - that preclude these cars from SEPTA service.
Bilevel as in the MARC III's. I wouldn't lease those out. MARC needs 'em everywhere because there's too much load going to DC (and back up half-way to Ft. Meade).

If I remember correctly (probably the 2007 expansion plan) the idea was to go diesel power and bi-level 100% of the time.
 #1395592  by Silverliner II

These are the 15 MARC coaches currently running in SEPTA service.
Consists are one 8-car set, and one 7-car set with a SEPTA cab car.

MARC IIa:
Cab car 7754
Trailer coach 7701, 7704, 7707, 7708, 7714

MARC IIb:
7716, 7721, 7726, 7728, 7729, 7730, 7731, 7734, 7791
 #1400041  by Silverliner II

SEPTA now has an additional 4 to 6 MARC cars on hand, including another cab car. I've got to get numbers as soon as I can.
 #1400104  by Silverliner II

All the MARC IV's have been in service for slightly over a year now, except the 15 cab cars, which remain out of service, pending an agreement between MDOT and the FRA over modifications the cabs need (installation of ACSES, I-ETMS, and automatic brake valve changes) and who will bear the cost of them.

And yes, I noted 11 Silverliner V's back in operation myself this morning. Also, SEPTA apparently is expecting yet another 6 MARC coaches within the next week or two, as per a press release last week.
 #1400110  by Silverliner II

The MARC I's were the old Budd coaches. MARC IIa I believe you mean, and SEPTA does have a handful of them too. Still got more IIb's than IIa's, which surprised me, but they have been yanking the IIa's from storage too, yes.
 #1400164  by STrRedWolf

You're right, I was thinking of the IIA's.

It makes me wonder where those IIA's are being stored. I can guess possibilities:
  • Martin State Airport (MARC repair shop/storage yard)
  • Ivy City (Aka Union Station Amtrak/MARC/VRE storage yard)
  • Riverside (MARC repair shop/storage yard)
  • Brunswick (MARC storage yard)
  • Monocacy (MARC storage yard)
  • Savage/Jessup (CSX yard, not likely)
Note I ruled out the Odenton Amtrak yard, because I've passed it every so often in a rare trip to DC and back... and it's ether rail repair equipment or the Odenton Protect engine (MARC's sole remaining GP40WH2).