Railroad Forums 

• Scrapping has begun

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1429396  by Chris Brown

At this point, 70% of the 1k series fleet is said to be retired.

It looks like Metro might actually meet its goal to have 100% of the 1k and 4k cars off Metro property by December. I'm already noticing a decline in the mixing train series. I've seen a few trains made of only 3k, 5k or 6k cars. That used to be extremely rare.
 #1429489  by Sand Box John

[quote="Chris Brown"]At this point, 70% of the 1k series fleet is said to be retired.

It looks like Metro might actually meet its goal to have 100% of the 1k and 4k cars off Metro property by December. I'm already noticing a decline in the mixing train series. I've seen a few trains made of only 3k, 5k or 6k cars. That used to be extremely rare.[/quote]

1050 and 1051 were spotted in Baltimore this evening.
 #1429614  by dcmike

Counts as of Friday afternoon..

There's only approximately 30 each of 1000 and 4000 series cars actually in service. They will almost certainly be gone by the end of the year.

CMNT began a pilot program in March to create what they call "dedicated consists". Basically it's an eight car train composed of all the same car series and it's restricted to a particular yard. Even if does have maintenance issues, it will be returned to its "home" yard. Each week since the beginning of March, one eight car train joins the program at each of the following yards: Greenbelt, New Carrollton, West Falls Church, Alexandria, and Shady Grove. That's why you're seeing the decline in mixed series. I'm not sure what the endgame here is as this severely restricts operational flexibility with little or no empirical evidence of gaining any kind of advantage.
 #1429688  by JDC

That is a fair bit of 3k fleet that is out of service. What's up?
 #1429745  by Backshophoss

To base one series of cars to one of the yards might allow more consistent heavy maintenance of the cars,hopefully leading
to better availability of cars system wide and a bit of inventory control for parts used on certain car series.
For running repairs,all shops should carry parts common to all car series,but for certain kind of repairs,that are car specific,
that car gets sent to the shop that is set up to handle that series.
 #1429798  by Sand Box John

"Backshophoss"
To base one series of cars to one of the yards might allow more consistent heavy maintenance of the cars,hopefully leading
to better availability of cars system wide and a bit of inventory control for parts used on certain car series.
For running repairs,all shops should carry parts common to all car series,but for certain kind of repairs,that are car specific,
that car gets sent to the shop that is set up to handle that series.

The level of capability that can be done at WMATA's shops is varied. Brentwood, Alexandria and Greenbelt are the heavy repair and overhaul facilities, Greenbelt being the primary for those tasks. The rest of the shops can handle general running repairs and selected tasks that can be done at Brentwood, Alexandria and Greenbelt.

When Dulles Yard comes on line, it will provide needed relieve to Greenbelt.
 #1429863  by dcmike

JDC wrote:
That is a fair bit of 3k fleet that is out of service. What's up?
There's three different major modification/retrofit efforts underway, plus an enhanced QC program for the preventative maintenance program which holds more cars out of service until they're completely repaired. The modification programs are new grease-free drive spindles for the door mechanisms, upgrade to a next-generation electronically controlled brake valve (digitrol), and improved event recorder design.
 #1430066  by davinp

I have also noticed less trains of mixed series. Lately on the orange/blue/silver lines I am seeing more 6 car trains made up only 5000 series cars or 3000 series cars and I have not seen an 8 car train lately made up of old cars.
 #1430148  by DC Railfanner

I am noticing less mixed sets - lots of 3000/5000 sets on the Orange Line. The other day, I saw an 8-car train on the Orange line that was all 2000 series cars, which is rare, considering that there are only 76 of them!

However, all of the old 1000 series sets remaining in service seem to have been given to the Orange/Silver lines, but as those are scrapped more and more 7000-series sets are appearing on those lines.
 #1430195  by JDC

DC Railfanner wrote:I am noticing less mixed sets - lots of 3000/5000 sets on the Orange Line. The other day, I saw an 8-car train on the Orange line that was all 2000 series cars, which is rare, considering that there are only 76 of them!

However, all of the old 1000 series sets remaining in service seem to have been given to the Orange/Silver lines, but as those are scrapped more and more 7000-series sets are appearing on those lines.
I've ridden on some 1000-series in past week or so on the Green line.
 #1430196  by Chris Brown

I love that the mixing is dying off. I always hated the mixing of the fleet.

Saw car# 7324 on the red line last night. It was moving too fast to make out any of the other numbers.

Now the count down to car #7400 begins!!
 #1431067  by YOLO

It looks like all the garbage trains got moved to VA, rarely see 7Ks anymore. It's mostly 1K to 5Ks.

Interesting note - saw a 8 car train on OR that was all 5Ks.
 #1431087  by DC Railfanner

YOLO wrote:It looks like all the garbage trains got moved to VA, rarely see 7Ks anymore. It's mostly 1K to 5Ks.

Interesting note - saw a 8 car train on OR that was all 5Ks.
There is a very frequently run 8-car all 2000 series on the Orange Line.
 #1431263  by dcmike

I received word earlier this week that Metro plans on grounding any remaining 1000 and 4000 series cars at the end of June when the service changes go in to effect. Time is running out to get in that last ride on either one of these cars if that's important to you.