Railroad Forums 

• Scrapping has begun

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1370703  by JackRussell

Sand Box John wrote: 1013 at United Iron & Metal, Inc. Baltimore
Is there anything at all that would be worth salvaging in these things? Something that Metro could reuse in other railcars (perhaps the seats as an example), or is this just a pile of scrap metal and trash?

Any guesses as to why they picked this car first? Had it or its pair been in an accident at some point in its life?
 #1370710  by YOLO

Is the propulsion engine on these worth anything? Aren't there some agencies across the country that use similar parts?
 #1370724  by Sand Box John

Looks like they have been stripped of things that could be used to keep other 1k cars rolling.

Trucks are different, coupler on F end is gone, cab signal pickup antenna is gone, destination signs are gone, also looks like some of the under body equipment has been removed.
 #1371364  by Chris Brown

Well, its obvious that the brakes are gone and possibly the wheels too.

With the 7k's coming so slow I didn't expect them to start scrapping these until maybe the end of summer at the earliest.
 #1371387  by JDC

Chris Brown wrote:Well, its obvious that the brakes are gone and possibly the wheels too.

With the 7k's coming so slow I didn't expect them to start scrapping these until maybe the end of summer at the earliest.
Well, if there are 10 7000-series trains in service, that's 80 new cars available for revenue service. So, Metro can begin scrapping up to 80 of the roughly 300 1000-series cars still on site. 80 is not 300, but it's close to 100 and that's 1/3 of the 1000-series fleet. So, progress.
 #1371452  by MACTRAXX

SBJ and Everyone:

The photograph of the 1000 series Metro car being shipped out reminds me of other Metro cars being delivered
in a similar manner built new. Enough time has passed since these original Rohr cars were built to now note that
they are now being retired. Hopefully the new 7000 series cars do become worthy replacements for older cars.

With the 40th Anniversary of the first Red Line Metro section (Rhode Island Avenue-Farragut North) opening next
month (3/27/1976) will Metro commemorate this anniversary in any manner? Will any of the 1000 series original
cars be used for any special services? Can Metro put together a historic train or contribute to an ouside exhibit?

In this past 40 years not only has the originally proposed system been built there are now new lines being added
such as the well-covered Silver Line to Dulles Airport. Metrorail has become second in ridership to only the NYC
Subway in daily weekday use numbers. Despite problems that have been discussed here at Railroad.net for the
most part Metro has been successful. How would life in the Washington area be had the Metrorail system not
been constructed? Overall mass transit in the Washington-Baltimore region has changed dramatically over the
course of the same 40 years following the regional growth patterns offering better areawide transit options.

MACTRAXX
 #1371481  by JDC

MACTRAXX wrote:SBJ and Everyone:

The photograph of the 1000 series Metro car being shipped out reminds me of other Metro cars being delivered
in a similar manner built new. Enough time has passed since these original Rohr cars were built to now note that
they are now being retired. Hopefully the new 7000 series cars do become worthy replacements for older cars.

With the 40th Anniversary of the first Red Line Metro section (Rhode Island Avenue-Farragut North) opening next
month (3/27/1976) will Metro commemorate this anniversary in any manner? Will any of the 1000 series original
cars be used for any special services? Can Metro put together a historic train or contribute to an ouside exhibit?

In this past 40 years not only has the originally proposed system been built there are now new lines being added
such as the well-covered Silver Line to Dulles Airport. Metrorail has become second in ridership to only the NYC
Subway in daily weekday use numbers. Despite problems that have been discussed here at Railroad.net for the
most part Metro has been successful. How would life in the Washington area be had the Metrorail system not
been constructed? Overall mass transit in the Washington-Baltimore region has changed dramatically over the
course of the same 40 years following the regional growth patterns offering better areawide transit options.

MACTRAXX
Eloquently put at the end. How would things be different in this region if not for Metro? Surely no one can say things would be better without it?
 #1371511  by Sand Box John

"MACTRAXX"

With the 40th Anniversary of the first Red Line Metro section (Rhode Island Avenue-Farragut North) opening next month (3/27/1976) will Metro commemorate this anniversary in any manner? Will any of the 1000 series original cars be used for any special services? Can Metro put together a historic train or contribute to an ouside exhibit?

With all the turmoil that's going on now I don't think WMATA want's to deal with the possible backlash that might follow, if you get my drift.

. . . How would life in the Washington area be had the Metrorail system not been constructed? Overall mass transit in the Washington-Baltimore region has changed dramatically over the course of the same 40 years following the regional growth patterns offering better areawide transit options.

More Washington area. Had Baltimore fully built out the then planed 71 mile heavy rail transit system It would likely have ranked in the top 5 or 6 systems in the United States in miles and or annual ridership. Had the happened I would agree that the Washington Baltimore area had dramatically changed.
 #1371517  by Chris Brown

JDC wrote:
Chris Brown wrote:Well, its obvious that the brakes are gone and possibly the wheels too.

Well, if there are 10 7000-series trains in service, that's 80 new cars available for revenue service. So, Metro can begin scrapping up to 80 of the roughly 300 1000-series cars still on site. 80 is not 300, but it's close to 100 and that's 1/3 of the 1000-series fleet. So, progress.
Well, I think its more complex than that. When the Silver line opened it stretched out the fleet and didn't allow Metro to have enough "spare" cars on site. On top of that, it lead to less time for fleet maintenance which ultimately caused Metro's fleet to become significantly less reliable.. causing many breakdowns in 2015. The Silver line required at least 64 rail cars. So, with 80 of the 7k's on site.. 64 of those are needed to have enough cars for the system. This means Metro really has only 16 new rail cars available to replace 1k's.
 #1371527  by Sand Box John

"Chris Brown"

Well, I think its more complex than that. When the Silver line opened it stretched out the fleet and didn't allow Metro to have enough "spare" cars on site. On top of that, it lead to less time for fleet maintenance which ultimately caused Metro's fleet to become significantly less reliable.. causing many breakdowns in 2015. The Silver line required at least 64 rail cars. So, with 80 of the 7k's on site.. 64 of those are needed to have enough cars for the system. This means Metro really has only 16 new rail cars available to replace 1k's.

WMATA will likely not begin scrapping in mass until after both 64 car Silver line options are in service.
 #1371537  by srepetsk

Chris Brown wrote:So, with 80 of the 7k's on site.. 64 of those are needed to have enough cars for the system. This means Metro really has only 16 new rail cars available to replace 1k's.
And not really even that. At least 22 vehicles have been decommissioned and 22 others accident-damaged. So the 7Ks need to plug these holes first before replacing cars.
 #1371574  by JDC

srepetsk wrote:
Chris Brown wrote:So, with 80 of the 7k's on site.. 64 of those are needed to have enough cars for the system. This means Metro really has only 16 new rail cars available to replace 1k's.
And not really even that. At least 22 vehicles have been decommissioned and 22 others accident-damaged. So the 7Ks need to plug these holes first before replacing cars.
You would think so, but I wonder if Metro is just extremely eager to a) have more reliable trains in service, even if there are less overall trains running, and b) to be able to close the NTSB requirement that it ditch the 1000-series. So, maybe it might make sense to wait, but I bet there is incredible pressure to have them gone before we reach the 10-year anniversary of the Ft. Totten crash.
 #1371576  by srepetsk

JDC wrote:
srepetsk wrote:
You would think so, but I wonder if Metro is just extremely eager to a) have more reliable trains in service, even if there are less overall trains running, and b) to be able to close the NTSB requirement that it ditch the 1000-series. So, maybe it might make sense to wait, but I bet there is incredible pressure to have them gone before we reach the 10-year anniversary of the Ft. Totten crash.
Note, we don't even have reliability data for the 7Ks yet. It was supposed to be out in February, but they pushed the release of the Vital Signs report to March.