Railroad Forums 

• Court House station

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1316861  by YOLO

Would it be feasible for metro to build a pocket track between court house and rosslyn, or is it too deep to safely build it out?
 #1318644  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
Would it be feasible for metro to build a pocket track between court house and rosslyn, or is it too deep to safely build it out?

Yes,

The engineering would not be an issue. The issue would be the grade, as I recall the grade is something over 3% between Rosslyn and Court House. If the pocket track was single ended with the entrance only at the Court House end the grade would not be an issue.
 #1318657  by YOLO

Isn't the part of the tunnel under 16th St N not at a grade or am I misunderstanding how they're built? If the pocket track entrance was right outside the platforms then that I can see that not being a good idea.
 #1318684  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
Isn't the part of the tunnel under 16th St N not at a grade or am I misunderstanding how they're built?

The entire length of the tunnel is in a grade. The curve east of the station has a descending vertical curve connecting to a constant grade under N 16th Street, about half way around the curve in to Rosslyn there is another vertical curve into the junction.

If the pocket track entrance was right outside the platforms then that I can see that not being a good idea.

Placing the entrance into the pocket just east of the platform is not practical because of the curve, placing it in the tangent east of the curve under N 16th Street would not be a problem. The entrances in to the pocket track would have to be staggered because track K2 is on a steeper grade then track K1 to descending to the lower level at Rosslyn.