Railroad Forums 

• Service Suspended 12-16-14 Thru Core Stations

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1307825  by JDC

Due to extreme water infiltration into Metro Center's lower levels from a possible burst pipe, causing water to completely cover the tracks and third rail, Metro has suspended service on the Blue, Orange and Silver lines from Farragut West to L'Enfant Plaza. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr- ... suspended/
 #1308280  by farecard

WMATA sent a thank you letter to WASA for their help in washing the lower lever of Metro Center....

It will be a while re: fixing 12th street. It was raised up 6+ inches at places.

I tried to display the photos but got a It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image rejection.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1003996143 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1308413  by Sand Box John

"mackievlzpro"
Kinda surprised they didn't find any damage considering both the ATC and power infrastructure were underwater for a bit.

Ground equipment is for all practical purposes is water proof, so the quick resumption of service was not that big of a surprise to me.

The low point where the ejector pumps are is at the south end of the Federal Triangle station, that is why you saw the water flowing towards camera in the clip.

WUSA 9 reported the water main in question was over 60 years old. I find that hard to believe because virtually all of the underground utilities from the vent shaft openings to the north along 12th street were replaced with new back in the early 1970s during the back filling of the excavation after the station was built.
 #1309268  by mackievlzpro

Sand Box John wrote:"mackievlzpro"
Kinda surprised they didn't find any damage considering both the ATC and power infrastructure were underwater for a bit.

Ground equipment is for all practical purposes is water proof, so the quick resumption of service was not that big of a surprise to me.

The low point where the ejector pumps are is at the south end of the Federal Triangle station, that is why you saw the water flowing towards camera in the clip.

WUSA 9 reported the water main in question was over 60 years old. I find that hard to believe because virtually all of the underground utilities from the vent shaft openings to the north along 12th street were replaced with new back in the early 1970s during the back filling of the excavation after the station was built.
That makes sense, I was unsure of the level of waterproofing that had been done to the equipment.