Railroad Forums 

• Columbia Pike Streetcar Cancelled

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1303693  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
http://www.arlnow.com/2014/11/18/breaki ... -canceled/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally think they should build metro thru that corridor :-D

I agree, however there are some out there that believe Metrorail will never come to the corridor because of what it will cost.

Those NATM tunnels in Tysons Corner between the Tysons Corner and Greensboro stations adjusted for inflation were cheaper to excavate an line then the shield bored tunnels of the same length in DC that were built 36 plus years ago.
 #1303725  by charding

Well, in my opinion, Arlington County is batting 0 for 2 on correct public transportation decisions for Columbia Pike. For those of us who have been around awhile, take a look at the Metro map - ever wonder why there was such a wide gap between the Orange and Blue lines? Well, the initial planning concept in the 1960s/70s was that there would be a line down Columbia Pike. In fact, if one looks closely out the right side windows of outgoing Blue/Yellow line trains, you can catch a glimpse of the Columbia Pike turnout that was built. Why was the line not built? Citizens rose up in resistance to it and that it would be too disrupted, and that line was cancelled - take a look at the Orange Line thru Clarenden how different today the Clarenden corridor is from the Columbia Pike corridor. Well, Arlington County has done it again for the Columbia Pike corridor…and now you can understand why Fairfax County is so upset…no strategic vision…oh well.
 #1303936  by Sand Box John

"charding"
Well, in my opinion, Arlington County is batting 0 for 2 on correct public transportation decisions for Columbia Pike. For those of us who have been around awhile, take a look at the Metro map - ever wonder why there was such a wide gap between the Orange and Blue lines? Well, the initial planning concept in the 1960s/70s was that there would be a line down Columbia Pike. In fact, if one looks closely out the right side windows of outgoing Blue/Yellow line trains, you can catch a glimpse of the Columbia Pike turnout that was built. Why was the line not built? Citizens rose up in resistance to it and that it would be too disrupted, and that line was cancelled - take a look at the Orange Line thru Clarenden how different today the Clarenden corridor is from the Columbia Pike corridor. Well, Arlington County has done it again for the Columbia Pike corridor…and now you can understand why Fairfax County is so upset…no strategic vision…oh well.

Why are you trying to revise history? You are using the same myth that has been used to explain why there is no station in Georgetown.

The Columbia Pike - Lincolnia Metrorail route was never proposed as part of the Adopted Regional System. Like the Silver line it was shown on the Adopted Regional System map as future. And also like the Silver line, provision were built to more easily build those future routes (Column piles and junction provision along the Orange line for the Silver line, junction provision in the south end of the Pentagon Station for the Columbia Pike - Lincolnia route).
 #1304008  by charding

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vir ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/arl ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What can I say - a strategic and costly blunder by Arlington County - 0 for 2 - a couple of good articles in today's WashPost - as McCartney points out, the 'we-and-they' concept is alive and well…hadn't thought about that aspect…so Arlington is left with a $1M bus-stop. On Georgetown, I remember the hue-and cry that went up from Georgetown folks on even the suggestion that there might be a line thru Georgetown - 'oh not you don't' - NIMBY was alive and well - Georgetown folks were afraid that the Metro would bring in 'unsavory' people to Georgetown. They must look with some envy when they look at what the Orange & Silver lines have done/are doing for these corridors.
 #1304080  by Sand Box John

"charding"

On Georgetown, I remember the hue-and cry that went up from Georgetown folks on even the suggestion that there might be a line thru Georgetown - 'oh not you don't' - NIMBY was alive and well - Georgetown folks were afraid that the Metro would bring in 'unsavory' people to Georgetown. They must look with some envy when they look at what the Orange & Silver lines have done/are doing for these corridors.

You left out the part of the story where said opposition was against a proposal that never existed, a proposal that was never made. The National Capital Transportation Agency and its predecessor the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority never seriously considered a station in Georgetown during the planning process the resulted in the 97.2 mile 1968 Adopted Regional System.
 #1304142  by charding

In some sense, it is a wonder that the Metro system was built at all - for those of us who have been around for awhile remember William Natcher, a Representative from Kentucky - think he was a member of the House Appropriations Committee - and a very pro-highway guy - who did everything he could to block funding for Metro - from 1970 to 1973 - the trade-off of building I-66 inside the Beltway in exchange for building the Orange Line down the median strip - even wanted to build a bridge connecting I-66 to Washington - the Three Sisters Bridge - actually remember the initial work on the bridge in the middle of the Potomac - fortunately, stopped. In Washington, everything is political. Arlington County offers another example of this.