Railroad Forums 

• Fantastic interactive map of Metro station architecture

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1296806  by YOLO

arch I and II are so ugly, they should have skimped on the va/md stations and should have ensured all DC stations have the original waffle design.

to be honest I'm really not a fan of an open vault design to begin with.
 #1296901  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
arch I and II are so ugly, they should have skimped on the va/md stations and should have ensured all DC stations have the original waffle design.

The decision to bastardize the classic Harry Weese 22 coffer design in favor of the 6 and 4 coffer designs was made after the construction of the 22 coffer stations in Maryland and Virginia. The reason for the bastardization was to reduce costs as the 6 and 4 coffer designs require less concrete.

If I had it my way all of the arched vault stations would have been of the 22 coffer design. This would have included the building of the Forest Glen, Wheaton and Fort Totten stations as 2 track island platform stations with 22 coffered arched vaults.

to be honest I'm really not a fan of an open vault design to begin with.

They would have looked much nicer today had the aggregate in the concrete mix been mined from the pits around Dulles Airport intended of from the pits in Princes Georges County.

As I said in my comment at GGW I don't like the lame terms used to describe the arch vault designs. The stations in subway are 22 coffer, 6 coffer and 4 coffer. The arched concrete canopies are identified as gull wing canopy in WMATA literature as well. The stations with the concrete flat roofs with the skylight down the centers were designed by Harry Weese, The vast majority of the station with flat roofs have them because it was impractical to use gull wing canopies. There are 5 station that don't have gull wing canopies that could have had them, Rockville, Naylor Road, West Hyattsville, Collage Park and Greenbelt. East Falls Church could have also been built with a gull wing canopy as well but I believe was not because of the sound walls.

What Matt Johnson described as a gambrel is not a true gambrel roof, typical contemporary gambrel roofs have 4 facets. Classical gambrel roofs have 6 facets with the 4th and 5th facets being the small slopes at the bottom of the roof to increase the eve over hang. The roofs above mezzanines in the Silver line stations have 6 facets that are of nearly equal length.

contemporary gambrel roof.

Classical gambrel roof.
 #1298764  by JackRussell

As I think about it, the so-called "gambrel" roof in the outdoor stations reminds me more and more of the vaulted roofs in the underground stations. They could have gone with something much closer to one of the existing deigns for outdoor stations (or even like they have at Spring Hill of McLean), and chose not to.
 #1298833  by Sand Box John

"JackRussell"
As I think about it, the so-called "gambrel" roof in the outdoor stations reminds me more and more of the vaulted roofs in the underground stations.

That was the same impression I had when I first saw the frame going up over the mezzanine at the Greensboro station.

They could have gone with something much closer to one of the existing deigns for outdoor stations (or even like they have at Spring Hill of McLean), and chose not to.

The designs in the FEIS showed designs almost identical to that used at the Morgan Boulevard and Largo stations. I believe Morgan Boulevard and Largo mezzanine and platform canopy designs would have looked less massive then what was built.

I also think the classic gull wing canopy would have looked quite nice over the platforms at Spring Hill and McLean.