Railroad Forums 

• ATO coming back to some red line trains

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1295363  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
If an operator runs a 10 car train would it show as 0 on the display?

No. The display only displays 2, 4, 6 and 8, anything longer simple displays 8. The hardware and or software is not smart enough to count beyond 8 to display an E or 0.
 #1302708  by dcmike

Limited automatic operation resumes Monday, November 17th in order to facilitate training for new operators and refreshers for the more experienced staff. Initially this will be limited to selected eight car consists only. Full restoration of automatic operation on the Red Line is scheduled for March 1st, 2015.
 #1303148  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
slightly offtopic, but are there any details on how the wmata signaling system works?

The basics of WMATA's signaling system is not much different then the automatic block and interlocking signaling systems use on older transit system and common carrier railroads. The only difference is there are no line side signals that display aspects for the condition of blocks ahead. Line side signals are replaced by speed commands displayed on the operator console. Speed commands are transmitted to the trains through the running rails at 8 frequencies ranging from 2,100 to 3,900 Hz, The odd numbered frequencies are used on track 1, even numbered on track 2. 2 other frequencies are used for train the way side communication they are as I recall in the 9,600 Hz range.

The technological used to transmit speed commands (cab signal) to the trains is not new, the North East Corridor has been cab signal territory sense at least the 1930.
 #1312992  by DiscoveryAnalysis

Just a little note,

On last Friday (16th) I went out and did some auditing of WMATA.

During regular service I boarded 6 Red Line trains, various consists 6/8 cars, various destinations and 0% were in Mode 1.

All trains were operated Mode 2, Level 1

At this rate it doesn't seem like Metro will meet it's deadline on ATO on A/B Routes

Wonder if anyone has heard anything........