Railroad Forums 

• Big City Metro - Washington DC

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1291518  by Sand Box John

"DMClark"
Found this randomly on Youtube tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdsFuQk4KBI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure when it was originally done, quick googling did not give a date. Map shown near the start has no green line on it.

Figured I'd pass it along.

Looks like it was produced between the summer of 1983 and the summer of 1988. Cody Pfanstiehl retired in 1982 and Huntington opened in December of 1983, Medical Center opened in 1984, there is a person in one seen wearing a Doug Williams tee shirt, Doug Williams became a Washington Redskin in 1987.
 #1291603  by JDC

Great find! Cannot wait to watch this through.
 #1291727  by Sand Box John

Oh, I forgot to mention, the remarks made by the retired head of WMATA "public relation" were vintage Cody Phanstiehl. Much of what he said was taken from the presentation he did prior to the donning of hardhats to tour the construction digs between Judiciary Square and Metro Center back in the early 1970s.

My favorite line is "When you start with a blank sheet of paper and you have finely gotten the two states, Maryland to the north and Virginia to the south and the state of mind called the District of Columbia in the middle all to agree that this is something they all need, that none can get separately, then you need to get an agreement on where the lines go and what is the first line to be built."
 #1291833  by MACTRAXX

DMC and SBJ: I remember "Big City Metro" because the now-in-storage NRHS Library videotape
collection had the full BCM series featuring 12 cities on six tape cassettes...

The opening credits show the 12 cities that were covered in this series - the North American cities
of San Francisco, New York and Toronto along with Washington were chosen...

MACTRAXX
 #1292498  by DiscoveryAnalysis

Great Video!

As for the timeframe I began riding in 1989, and as the Breda cars had the holders in the cab end bulkhead doors to carry the plates denoting the line color ever since I've been riding (until the recent removal) I'd place the timeframe between 1986-88. The maps aboard the rail cars show Vienna open but Wheaton has not.

It was a blast to the past to see the original interior of the Rhors & hear the original two tone chime.