Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, Robert Paniagua, therock

User avatar
JDC
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Springfield, VA

Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by JDC » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:42 am

I could not find a thread devoted to the potential future Metrorail station at Potomac Yard, so I thought I would start one.

Today's news is that the FTA has narrowed the possible locations to Alternative A or B (see them here: http://potomacyardmetro.com/Copy%20of%2 ... 092412.jpg). The news story is here: http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/b ... l?page=all. Alternative D, the aerial station closer to the planned location of commercial high-rises in North Potomac Yard, was nixed. Also nixed was a CSX option whereby the City would purchase nearby land in order to straighten out CSX's tracks and thus allow a better location for Metro's tracks and station.

Websites devoted to the future station are listed below:
Living in Springfield, VA; Working at Half & L, DC.

User avatar
Sand Box John
Posts: 2913
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Hebron Maryland
Contact:

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by Sand Box John » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:34 am

Image

I think some variation option A is the logic chose, but after all the arguments are heard from the various opposing factions we will end up with some variation of option B.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

asdf
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by asdf » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:27 am

looks like they are set on them being split platforms ... am I reading it right?

User avatar
Sand Box John
Posts: 2913
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Hebron Maryland
Contact:

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by Sand Box John » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:41 pm

"asdf"
looks like they are set on them being split platforms ... am I reading it right?


Yes. Option A and B are twin platform configurations.

Option A produces the least amount service disruption because the tracks through the station would be cut in after the station is completely built. The cut in of the tracks would likely happen over 2 weekend and require an amount modification to the track circuits in the signaling and train control system. It would also be the cheapest to build as normal daily train operations would not interfere during construction. However savings in construction costs would likely be off set by the cost of the additional land need east of the existing right of way for the foot of the station.

Option B places the station platforms on either side of the existing tracks. Modification needed to the signaling and train control system would be less. Little or no additional land need be taken. Service disruptions during construction of the platform might be greater depending on how their construction is executed. The cost might be more do to close proximity of the construction to the active tracks.

Both options include a new double north of the station. Option A places the double crossover in the tangent north of the curve north of the station. Option B places the double crossover in the tangent north of the station.

The center of the platform of option A is roughly 800' north of the center of the platform of option B.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

DiscoveryAnalysis
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:55 am
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by DiscoveryAnalysis » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:44 pm

Sand Box John wrote:"asdf"
looks like they are set on them being split platforms ... am I reading it right?


Yes. Option A and B are twin platform configurations.

Option A produces the least amount service disruption because the tracks through the station would be cut in after the station is completely built. The cut in of the tracks would likely happen over 2 weekend and require an amount modification to the track circuits in the signaling and train control system. It would also be the cheapest to build as normal daily train operations would not interfere during construction. However savings in construction costs would likely be off set by the cost of the additional land need east of the existing right of way for the foot of the station.

Option B places the station platforms on either side of the existing tracks. Modification needed to the signaling and train control system would be less. Little or no additional land need be taken. Service disruptions during construction of the platform might be greater depending on how their construction is executed. The cost might be more do to close proximity of the construction to the active tracks.

Both options include a new double north of the station. Option A places the double crossover in the tangent north of the curve north of the station. Option B places the double crossover in the tangent north of the station.

The center of the platform of option A is roughly 800' north of the center of the platform of option B.
Option A is south of option B and is in the position the original station was planned prior to development east of the ROW. The station was to be placed just north of the retaining wall leading to the portal and south of the TPSS. Based on current development and political concern Option B is now a forgone conclusion to be selected.

Hopefully with this infill, WMATA will tie in one if not both of the existing tracks to add flexibility into operations.
Roger B.
Discovery Performance Solutions, LLC

User avatar
JDC
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by JDC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Reading the official history of Metrorail (http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/docs/history.pdf), one thing that caught my eye is an entry from Nov. 1995: "WMATA and RF&P Corporation formally
sign an agreement to build Potomac Yard station with RF&P funds. It will be first Metro station built with private funds. Station is between National Airport and Braddock Road on Blue/Yellow Line." Hmmmm, what ever happened with that?
Living in Springfield, VA; Working at Half & L, DC.

User avatar
Sand Box John
Posts: 2913
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Hebron Maryland
Contact:

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by Sand Box John » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:26 pm

"JDC"
Reading the official history of Metrorail (http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/docs/history.pdf), one thing that caught my eye is an entry from Nov. 1995: "WMATA and RF&P Corporation formally sign an agreement to build Potomac Yard station with RF&P funds. It will be first Metro station built with private funds. Station is between National Airport and Braddock Road on Blue/Yellow Line." Hmmmm, what ever happened with that?


That agreement was probably lost during the process that absorbed the RF&P into CSX and also likely lost during the process of how the property was going to be redeveloped. 5 of the 6 railroads that held equal shares of the RF&P were railroads that merged to create CSX.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

User avatar
JDC
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by JDC » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:11 pm

City of Alexandria received a 50 million dollar low interest loan from the Virginia Commonwealth Transportation Board, making the station's future nearly certain. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vir ... ml?hpid=z4
Living in Springfield, VA; Working at Half & L, DC.

charding
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by charding » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:27 pm

…not that we want to address 'what-might-have-beens', when Jack Kent Cooke was looking for a place to built a stadium for the Redskins, one place was the Potomac Yards - think a station was part of the plan - however, nearby citizens rose up in protest and it was not build…and the rest is history.

mtuandrew
Posts: 5869
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 am
Location: the Manassas Gap Independent Line

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by mtuandrew » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:37 pm

Option B makes quite a bit of sense. It's closer to the Pot Yard shopping center developments than Option A, it doesn't require some silly crossover of the RF&P like Option D, and it can be built in large part without impeding current Metro operations since it isn't directly on the current active line. At the least, the northbound platform and line can be constructed without interference, then the old NB main demolished and the new SB main and platform built.

I'll miss the fast ride between National Airport and Braddock though.

User avatar
Sand Box John
Posts: 2913
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Hebron Maryland
Contact:

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by Sand Box John » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:45 pm

"mtuandrew"Option B makes quite a bit of sense. It's closer to the Pot Yard shopping center developments than Option A, it doesn't require some silly crossover of the RF&P like Option D, and it can be built in large part without impeding current Metro operations since it isn't directly on the current active line. At the least, the northbound platform and line can be constructed without interference, then the old NB main demolished and the new SB main and platform built.

I prefer option A because it splits the differences on being closer to the homes and the undeveloped area to the south. Could be done without significant disruption provided there is sufficient room between the footprint of the new stations and the properties on the west side of Potomac Green Drive for a temporary shoe fly of the mainline tracks.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

afiggatt
Posts: 1447
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:41 am
Location: Sterling, VA

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by afiggatt » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Good news for the PY metro station: Washington Post Plan advances for Metro station at Potomac Yard. The draft EIS is finally completed. Some excerpts:
A new Metro station in Alexandria’s growing Potomac Yard community is a step closer to reality with the release of a federal environmental impact study that says the project would spur economic development and boost transit.

The report, released last week by the Federal Transit Administration, details the station’s potential impact on the community, overall development, wetlands and views from the George Washington Memorial Parkway.
Good news for option B, the NPS won't block it because of the "scenic" easement intrusion. If the NPS were to say no, it could delay the site selection process for even more years.
The proposal that some have called the preferred option would intrude on the parkway’s scenic easement and require the purchase of 0.16 acres of parkway property from the National Park Service, the report said. But in a letter to the city, the Park Service says it would support the construction of the station pending a negotiation of a benefits agreement.
In the article, it says "The station has a projected opening date of 2018." Given how long the whole station location and EIS process has taken, I'm going with the over for 2018 and expect that SIlver Line Phase 2 will open well before the PY in-fill station.

YOLO
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by YOLO » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Alternative B has been selected as the final design.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr- ... e-will-be/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

afiggatt
Posts: 1447
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:41 am
Location: Sterling, VA

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by afiggatt » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:59 pm

afiggatt wrote:In the article, it says "The station has a projected opening date of 2018." Given how long the whole station location and EIS process has taken, I'm going with the over for 2018 and expect that SIlver Line Phase 2 will open well before the PY in-fill station.
In light of the news on Silver Line Phase 2 delay and the staff decision to recommend Alternative B location along with the news that Alexandria has made a land swap deal with the NPS, I want to retract the above statement. Of course, there will be more bumps in the roads and delays for the PY infill station project, but I think the odds of PY opening comfortably ahead of SL Phase 2 just went way up.

User avatar
JDC
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Potomac Yard Metrorail station

Post by JDC » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:06 pm

afiggatt wrote:
afiggatt wrote:In the article, it says "The station has a projected opening date of 2018." Given how long the whole station location and EIS process has taken, I'm going with the over for 2018 and expect that SIlver Line Phase 2 will open well before the PY in-fill station.
In light of the news on Silver Line Phase 2 delay and the staff decision to recommend Alternative B location along with the news that Alexandria has made a land swap deal with the NPS, I want to retract the above statement. Of course, there will be more bumps in the roads and delays for the PY infill station project, but I think the odds of PY opening comfortably ahead of SL Phase 2 just went way up.
I think it all depends on whether the station's design and construction takes into account changed environmental regulations, which sunk the opening of both the Silver Line phase I and now phase II. Stricter stormwater management regs came on line during construction of the Silver Line, which caught them unaware and required construction changes. Since those regs are now on the books, I would imagine that the Potomac Yard station's design takes those into account and so that should not be a snafu.
Living in Springfield, VA; Working at Half & L, DC.

Post Reply

Return to “DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)”