Railroad Forums 

• Warning strips - new installation method?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1278828  by JDC

At Eisenhower Ave. Station this morning, I noticed that overnight Metro had begun installation of the edge warning strips....except that Metro seems to be using a new installation method. Rather than removing tile and placing the strips into the vacated space (which results in a flush surface, except for the bumps), Metro is now laying the strips directly on the tile and bolting/screwing them into the tile/subsurface. No more glue it seems.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1073 ... 4168093322.

Apologies for no inline photo. Sand Box John showed me how to do it, but I'm still confused. I'll look into it for next time.
 #1278956  by JDC

jcepler1 wrote:They just finished doing that at Grosvenor.
There it seemed like they removed the regular tiles, put down a cement base, and then attached the new warning strips onto that.
Hum. Maybe you're right. It looks like they are doing the same thing at Braddock Road - all of the areas where the strips used to be located are covered with thin plywood. I imagine that underneath that is either no tile or the fresh concrete, waiting the new strips. I think I also saw those plywood sheets at King St. today, too.

I'll take a closer look at Eisenhower next time I am there (Tuesday).
 #1278978  by Sand Box John

Looks to me like WMATA has found a cheaper way the install the truncated domes for the visually unpaired.

Glue and screw a composite rubber truncated dome tiles on top of the existing tiles.

These tiles look similar to the yellow truncated dome tiles used in curb cuts at pedestrian crosswalks.

"JDC"

Apologies for no inline photo. Sand Box John showed me how to do it, but I'm still confused. I'll look into it for next time.

You need the link to the image only not the page the image is imbedded in to post the picture.

In Firefox right click on the image, a menu will appear, select Copy Image Location.

Click the Img button at the top of posting window and past the location of the image between the tags.

Image hosted elsewhere posted in massages here are restricted to 800 pix wide.