Railroad Forums 

• Metro's FY 2015 capital budget

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1269769  by JDC

At Metro's May 8 meeting, one of the presentations was Metro's FY 2015 budget. Parts of it are specifically tied into Momentum/Metro 2025, which features many significant capital improvements that I am sure we would all love to see sooner, rather than later. I have excerpted below some of the most interesting developments from the FY 2015 budget, which is here in total: http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/board_ ... tFINAL.pdf
  • Metro will replace the 1000-series and 4000-series railcars with the new 7000 series railcars, beginning in FY2015. Metro expects 64 of the 7000-series cars to be delivered in FY2015
  • Replacement, rehabilitation and repair of railcars
    􀁻 Replacement of 1000-series railcars (300 railcars)
    􀁻 Replacement of 4000-series railcars (100 railcars)
    􀁻 Initiate replacement of 2000/3000-series railcars (beginning in FY2018)
    􀁻 Initiate rehabilitation of 5000-series railcars (beginning in FY2017)
  • Rehabilitation of rail yards (Alexandria, Brentwood, and New Carrollton) and bus facilities (Western, Northern, Landover)
  • Rehabilitation of rail line segment infrastructure
    􀁻 Red Line Rehabilitation: Stages 1 and 2
    􀁻 Orange/Blue Line Rehabilitation: Stage 1
In order to advance those projects that Metro deemed to have the highest priority, Metro reworked its original capital improvement plan last submitted in December 2013. "The proposed CIP now reflects this new implementation strategy for Metro 2025. Investment in eight-car trains, Union Station and Gallery Place access and capacity upgrades, bus fleet expansion, and PCN implementation have been prioritized, and the total investment required between FY2015 and FY2020 is now $1.7 billion. The most of the other Metro 2025 investments in next generation communications, pocket tracks, and Blue Line connections have been deferred until after FY2020."

"Retrofit of fare vending machines As part of the GM/CEO’s goal to eliminate paper-magnetic farecards on the Metrorail system, WMATA has identified an $8.7 million capital project to retrofit the Express Recharge Machines (fare vending machines) in Metrorail stations to dispense SmarTrip® cards rather than paper-magnetic farecards. This project will not be funded through the CIP, but instead will be funded from the existing SmarTrip® reserve fund, which currently has a balance of approximately of $12 million. This reserve fund receives the proceeds from SmarTrip® card sales and has been used in the past to replenish the stock of SmarTrip® cards."
 #1269970  by YOLO

are the 2k/3k cars being replaced with 7000s or a newer series?

I know that metro was working on rosslyn station, looks like they were deciding between a track that goes from Arlington cemetery to Courthouse or build a 2nd platform, did they decide which one they will do?
 #1269976  by afiggatt

YOLO wrote:are the 2k/3k cars being replaced with 7000s or a newer series?

I know that metro was working on rosslyn station, looks like they were deciding between a track that goes from Arlington cemetery to Courthouse or build a 2nd platform, did they decide which one they will do?
The plan for the 2K/3K cars are to replace them with an 8000 series starting in 10 years.

The proposed Blue line re-route through Rosslyn has not even undergone a formal alternative analysis study yet with the required public meetings. WMATA has done internal studies, but there is a long way to go before the basic configuration in Rosslyn is settled.

From the FY2015 capital budget presentation, there appears to be a number of projects getting kicked down the road. Pedestrian tunnels at Farragut Sq and Metro Center-Galley Place for one.
 #1275332  by Robert Paniagua

YOLO wrote:are the 2k/3k cars being replaced with 7000s or a newer series?

I sure hope they do that connector eventually. That connector would also be called the C & K connector since it would connect both the C and K routes after they separate.