Railroad Forums 

• Man stopped by federal agents at MARC station

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1266059  by CentralValleyRail

RussNelson wrote:Frigging cowards. Makes me ashamed of my fellow citizens.
I agree! Sad to see that happen. Not every railfan is as willing and kind as he was.

I'm not a fan of any authority (hence that's why I run my own business) so having that happen to me wouldn't have ended the same.
 #1266175  by deathtopumpkins

"We welcome filming and photography on most MTA property that is open to the public, including local bus, light rail, Metro Subway, Commuter Bus and MARC. This includes photography and filming for personal, non-commercial use that does not interfere with operations or safety."

That's the Maryland Transit Administration's photo policy. It's a shame they made this man late to work for doing something which the MTA website says they "welcome".

Source: http://mta.maryland.gov/mta-policies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1266257  by mmi16

CentralValleyRail wrote:Wonder if that was a member on here...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-0 ... rc-station" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He must have been on Amtrak today - a passenger on a Amtrak train called Amtrak HQ to complain about a man on the train taking pictures - the info was then relayed to the train crew to investigate. No police were subsequently called.
 #1266514  by RailVet

People watch too many silly TV shows that depict photography as a prelude to criminal or terrorist action, so when they see a rail buff with his camera they lose their minds.

I went to South Korea for three weeks last year, rode trains nearly every day and took hundreds of pictures, a great many of which were at train stations. No one paid any attention to me and no one called the cops on this high-nose western foreign devil. (While some Asian countries refer to westerners as round-eyes, in Korea we're known as "high noses" because the bridge of a westerner's nose is higher than that of a typical Korean.) Mind you, North Korea, a very unpleasant place, is right next door, but no one saw any reason to think a harmless rail fan/tourist was anything but a harmless rail fan/tourist. My own country, however, is a 3,000-mile-wide loony bin, and every time I take a train picture I wonder if someone who sees me is dailing 9-1-1.
 #1270144  by 4400Washboard

Why do people think everyone who takes photos is a terrorist? So what someone took a photo of a station sign? How can taking a photo of a freaking train be dangerous? The train diagrams online are more suited for terrorists than photos of a random train