Railroad Forums 

• VA study of Rt 1 corridor - extending YL not practical

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1261044  by JDC

A WTOP story discusses a recently released report from VA that examined ways to improve traffic on Rt. 1 from the Beltway to Rt. 123. "An option to study extending the Yellow Line from Huntington to Ft. Belvoir, ending in Woodbridge didn't survive the initial study. Researchers found there may not be enough land, business development and ridership to support Metro, but also the project would cost too much money." http://www.wtop.com/654/3592161/How-to- ... Ft-Belvoir

The story, however, ends by noting that "state officials will now take several months to study bus-rapid transit, light-rail and the Metro hybrid option more in-depth. They will look at cost, land use and project how many people would ride each option."

So, it doesn't look like a YL extension is out, but it doesn't look like it's in, either.
 #1261391  by JDC

YOLO wrote:not surprising, a YL extension would have to be underground right?

didn't metro do a study about a BL extension to Potomac mills? what were the results from that study?
Metro's PlanitMetro blog has a whole post devoted to "Why isn't Metro considering a line to X". It's here:http://planitmetro.com/2013/12/20/why-i ... ress-here/.

The post refers to this pdf, which discusses on pg. 8 a Blue line extension to Potomac Mills. http://planitmetro.com/wp-content/uploa ... Tested.pdf. Somewhere in its reports Metro crunches all of the numbers about extensions to Potomac Mills and even Lorton. If I recall correctly, the conclusion was that it was too far at this point with not enough TOD planned for the length of the line that would make it feasible. That, and the issue of needing core capacity improvements before further extensions are considered.
 #1261444  by Sand Box John

Where can I find this "VA US-1 from the Capital Beltway to VA-123 mass transit" report?

I would prefer to express my educated opinion after reading said mentioned report.

"YOLO"
not surprising, a YL extension would have to be underground right?

Not necessarily. roughly a third of the length of the corridor is a median divided highway, an other third is 4 lanes plus center a left turn lane with medium distance setbacks, the rest bisects the Fort. Belvoir property.
 #1261472  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote:Where can I find this "VA US-1 from the Capital Beltway to VA-123 mass transit" report?

I would prefer to express my educated opinion after reading said mentioned report.
Found it, and the entire website devoted to the issue: http://route1multimodalaa.com/
 #1261473  by JDC

"YOLO"
not surprising, a YL extension would have to be underground right?

Pg 29 of this pdf, which is on the website I linked to above, confirms Metrorail could be underground for part of the way, though it does not look like a third of the entire corridor. Instead, when the line would have to go above ground, they instead end the service in Hybla Valley and transition to BRT (see pg 34). http://route1multimodalaa.com/wp-conten ... r-web1.pdf
 #1261647  by Sand Box John

"JDC"

http://route1multimodalaa.com/wp-conten ... r-web1.pdf

Thank you for providing the link to the power point.

Page 39 would indicated that the Metrorail/BRT Hybrid would generate the greatest number of boardings. It also notes that the Metrorail/BRT Hybrid has a lower capitol cost per passenger then does the light rail option but more then the BRT only options. Though not mentioned, the Metrorail/BRT Hybrid would likely allow for the extension of Metrorail further south at some time in the future.

I have had some ideas for station designs that could possibly lower the capitol costs that I drew up 13 years ago. Shallow version of cut and cover. Typical cut and cover stations are at minimum of 45' from from the surface to top of rail, this version with the crown of the arch open to the sky is at minimum of 30' from from the surface to top of rail:

#1277202  by gprimr1

Could they look at expanding VRE service instead? I'm curious as to how people who receive a 2 seat metro ride vs a 1 seat VRE ride.
 #1277269  by JDC

gprimr1 wrote:Could they look at expanding VRE service instead? I'm curious as to how people who receive a 2 seat metro ride vs a 1 seat VRE ride.
Not being a VRE expert, my first thought is that there are no tracks leading south from King St. that follow the Route 1 corridor. VRE can be expanded in other places, but I think the Rt. 1 corridor is too compact at this point for rail tracks. Also, VRE is generally intended for stops that are further apart, whereas Metro and or BRT/light rail could have stops every few blocks and would thus jump start TOD along Rt 1.
 #1277297  by gprimr1

Good point. I'm looking at it from the perspective of what is the desired ridership? Are they looking to attract those riding to DC or those who are riding up and down the RT1 corridor?
 #1277446  by Sand Box John

Expanding VRE service does nothing to increase transit capacity in the section of the US-1 corridor north of Fort Belvoir. There are only 2 VRE stations in Fairfax County, one of them is next to the Franconia - Springfield Metrorail station, the other is well west of the main campus of Fort Belvoir. The proposed Metrorail extension option only goes as far south Hybla Valley which is a slightly further to the east of Fort Belvoir then the VRE Lorton station is to the west.
 #1278414  by DCAfan

Does anyone know whether VRE has considered putting in a new station halfway between Lorton and Franconia - Springfield near the Fairfax County Parkway in Newington? Such a station would provide much better access for VRE passengers to Fort Belvoir, the Defense Logistics Agency and Davison AAF; and would be a lot cheaper than expanding Metro.
 #1278622  by JDC

DCAfan wrote:Does anyone know whether VRE has considered putting in a new station halfway between Lorton and Franconia - Springfield near the Fairfax County Parkway in Newington? Such a station would provide much better access for VRE passengers to Fort Belvoir, the Defense Logistics Agency and Davison AAF; and would be a lot cheaper than expanding Metro.
Here is a list of current VRE capital improvement projects: http://www.vre.org/about/projects.html. Nothing about a new station.
 #1278658  by DCAfan

Thanks for the link.

I would think this idea would dovetail nicely with the completion of the Long Bridge Improvements Project. A Ft. Belvoir/Newington station would be, IMO, both a point of origin and destination, attracting commuters north and south to what has become a major employment center in Northern Virginia. I believe that Fairfax County might be supportive of this idea, and they do have money. In short, to my way of thinking, this is low lying fruit for VRE. Why not grab it?
 #1278674  by Sand Box John

"DCAfan"
Does anyone know whether VRE has considered putting in a new station halfway between Lorton and Franconia - Springfield near the Fairfax County Parkway in Newington? Such a station would provide much better access for VRE passengers to Fort Belvoir, the Defense Logistics Agency and Davison AAF; and would be a lot cheaper than expanding Metro.

I to have thought of that as well. Most of the development in that area around Newington is light industry. It might be cheaper then extending Metrorail south of Huntington but it would never come close to generating the boarding numbers that an extension would.