Railroad Forums 

• MARC New Multilevels

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1408594  by STrRedWolf

JackRussell wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote: There's been a few attempts recently. Some of them on 445 at Baltimore Penn Station.
Really? What are they hoping to accomplish?

One of my favorite sayings for these types of situations is "What could possibly go wrong".
Good question. Getting from Charles Center (center of the city) to Penn Station is a good 10 minutes. If you can't time it right, that 5:25pm southbound isn't going to wait. When 5:25pm hits, it must GO.
 #1408687  by MCL1981

Is the bell on the cab cars fake? It sounds like a recording coming from a loudspeaker rather than a real bell.
 #1408736  by Backshophoss

They must have "E"bells(electronic bell) system installed on the cab cars,don't quite sound right,eh :wink:
 #1408768  by Backshophoss

Then the bell is mounted on the underframe ,in need of cleaning(full of road grime) :(
 #1408861  by MCL1981

Speaking of people jumping off... does opening any of the doors on the trailers cause a brake application or any kind of alarm to sound?
 #1408867  by Backshophoss

If there's an emergency door release handle or a door held open by the crew, nothing
If opened from a door control system,should trip the PKO relay while train is moving.
 #1408876  by MCL1981

Interesting. So the emergency release won't cut power. But the crew opening a door will? Seems kinda backwards.
 #1408982  by STrRedWolf

Backshophoss wrote:If there's an emergency door release handle or a door held open by the crew, nothing
If opened from a door control system,should trip the PKO relay while train is moving.
It doesn't. But the DCS requires a key to operate.
 #1409000  by Backshophoss

The "Door Open" by a Door control system would send a signal down the Comm trainline to the controlling cab,that would
NOT allow it to send a power command to the engine(aka PKO).
 #1409004  by STrRedWolf

Backshophoss wrote:The "Door Open" by a Door control system would send a signal down the Comm trainline to the controlling cab,that would
NOT allow it to send a power command to the engine(aka PKO).
Would, but doesn't. MARC conductors have the tendency of opening the door they're standing at while the train is arriving at a station, securing themselves, and leaning out a bit to see how full things are or to tell folks on the platform "HAVE TICKETS OUT! MARC TICKETS ONLY!" or "STAY ON THE PLATFORM UNTIL WE STOP!"
 #1411452  by MCL1981

The indicator lights on the outside of the cars... I gather that the separate red light is for a door being open on the car. Then there is a stack with amber, green, and blue. I'm thinking blue indicates hand brake? Amber and green I thought would be brakes applied and brakes released. But i never see either amber or green on. What are those for?
 #1411527  by STrRedWolf

MCL1981 wrote:The indicator lights on the outside of the cars... I gather that the separate red light is for a door being open on the car. Then there is a stack with amber, green, and blue. I'm thinking blue indicates hand brake? Amber and green I thought would be brakes applied and brakes released. But i never see either amber or green on. What are those for?
I think the red light is for when the conductor has his/her key in and is ready to open the door. I've seen MARC 406 come up to Odenton, red lights on the last three cars... and no doors open. It's probably an indicator to the engineer which cars are actually active/has passengers.
 #1411582  by MCL1981

Well look what's up and running this morning! The digital signs on the 874/875 consist digital signs and automated announcements were in use. They announced visually and audibly the next stops. The automated voice is very clear and sounds great. As we were approaching Union, it also made the automated speech about collecting all your bags, watching the gap, etc etc. An the final words were "Thank you for riding New Jersey Transit". I guess they forgot to update that last bit....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QYsdtTkqTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1411601  by amtrakhogger

Interesting, NJT uses a woman's voice for announcements.