Railroad Forums 

• MARC New Multilevels

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1411602  by MCL1981

The MARC announcements were all that male voice. The don't forget your bags, watch the gap, and thank you for riding NJT were in the female voice. So I'm guessing MARC hasn't gotten the new audio in for that final part yet, or simply forgot it says NJT at the end.
 #1418500  by MCL1981

These announcements need a lot of work still. The digital signs all work perfectly. But the audio announcements are all messed up.

Prior departing the station of origin, it is not making the announcement listing all the stops. The conductor makes that announcement himself. But I believe it is designed to make that announcement.

Shortly after departing a station stop, it announces "Next Stop [Station Name]" correctly. This is really the only audio announcement it does correctly.

When arriving at a station, it announces "This train stops at [Station Name]", which really doesn't make any sense. It should be saying "This is..." or "Arriving at...." which makes a lot more sense. I think "This train stops at..." is supposed to precede the list of all stops that is supposed to play while the train is boarding in the station of origin. It's being incorrectly used when arriving at an intermediate station.

When approaching the final stop (lets say it's Union), its schizophrenic other side comes out. First the NJT female voice says "Attention passengers, may I have your attention please". The the male voice says "This train stops at Washington Union Station". It makes absolutely no sense. The female voice used to make the speech about collecting your belongings and watching the gap too. But that went away.
 #1420928  by STrRedWolf

So I'm on a northbound 406 and got the voice-over train. Voice is MTA's regular male actor.

"Next station stop is BWI Airport shuttle."

"This train stops at BWI Marshal Airport Shuttle." on arrival

"Next station stop is Halethorpe."

"This train stops at Halethorpe." on arrival.

Last stop was the NJ Transit female saying "Last stop is" before MTA's guy says " Baltimore Penn Station."
 #1420943  by JeffersonLeeEng

STrRedWolf wrote:Last stop was the NJ Transit female saying "Last stop is" before MTA's guy says " Baltimore Penn Station."
I think NJ Transit uses Michaela Majoun (formerly of WXPN/University of Pennsylvania AAA-music format public radio station) as their train on-board announcement voice.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/pulse ... adio-star/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1421340  by scratchy

STrRedWolf wrote:So I'm on a northbound 406 and got the voice-over train. Voice is MTA's regular male actor.

"Next station stop is BWI Airport shuttle."

"This train stops at BWI Marshal Airport Shuttle." on arrival

"Next station stop is Halethorpe."

"This train stops at Halethorpe." on arrival.

Last stop was the NJ Transit female saying "Last stop is" before MTA's guy says " Baltimore Penn Station."
I'm getting a Vision of Holly, from Red Dwarf.
 #1421346  by MCL1981

I think they should use the computer voice from Star Trek. Or maybe the borg voice. We are MARC train.
 #1421424  by STrRedWolf

MCL1981 wrote:I think they should use the computer voice from Star Trek. Or maybe the borg voice. We are MARC train.
My thing is that it should be consistent (one voice) and match the operations (italics for changable items):
  • On start of run: "Welcome to MARC Train 4-0-6. This train makes stops at New Carrolton. Seabrook. Bowie State. Odenton. BWI Airport. Halethorpe. Last stop is Baltimore Penn Station. Please review the safety card behind each seat."
  • When leaving a station (including start of run): "Next stop, New Carrolton -- Transfer to Metrorail and local buses.." ("Odenton -- transfer to local buses," "BWI Airport -- Free shuttle to the terminals, transfer to local and commuter buses.")
  • When arriving at a station: Station stop, BWI Airport. Please gather your belongings as you exit the train.
  • When arriving at the last station: Last stop, Baltimore Penn Station. Please gather your belongings as you exit the train. This train goes no further.
  • When there is a delay due to failure: We are being delayed due to a train issue. Our conductors and engineer are locating the problem, and will let you know when we are back on the move.
  • When there is a delay due to Amtrak: We are being delayed due to Amtrak traffic. We appreciate your patience.
  • When to transfer: This train has broken down. We are transferring you to another train. Please gather your belongings. Thank you for your understanding as we get you to your destination safely.
 #1425998  by STrRedWolf

GP40MC 1116 wrote:With the delivery of the Bombardier MultiLevels, what is the status of the MARC IIA Sumitomo/ Nippon Sharyo coaches that the new cars replaced?
In storage, can be leased out in case SEPTA has another issue with their rail cars. I'd have to check if I got a IIA still or if 406 is 100% IIB.