Railroad Forums 

• MARC HHP-8

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1445816  by Backshophoss

Which MARC Hippo is getting the BBD "makeover"?? Which MARC Hippo's are in service on a regular basis?
 #1446822  by liftedjeep

STrRedWolf wrote:Today's sighting is 4915. So that's two.
Hey Mr Wolf,
Are the HHP-8s you're seeing actually in revenue service, or sidelined someplace?
Ben
 #1446828  by STrRedWolf

liftedjeep wrote:
Hey Mr Wolf,
Are the HHP-8s you're seeing actually in revenue service, or sidelined someplace?
Ben
Revenue service. 4912 was running MARC 408 and 4915 was on today's 445. I'm ODN-BAL myself, so I can grab these HHP-8's as they're running.
 #1447779  by STrRedWolf

STrRedWolf wrote:
liftedjeep wrote:
Hey Mr Wolf,
Ben
Revenue service. 4912 was running MARC 408 and 4915 was on today's 445. I'm ODN-BAL myself, so I can grab these HHP-8's as they're running.
I just realized this thread reply with some other info. In short now:
  • 4910's being rebuilt.
  • 4911 has a blown transformer.
  • 4912 is in service.
  • 4913 is missing in action.
  • 4914 is "dead" waiting for 4910's rebuild
  • 4915 is in service.
 #1449210  by dt_rt40

Great, thanks for the wrap up of their status.
One does have to wonder, though, how an entire electric locomotive weighing 100 tons goes "missing in action". Was it mugged by some other locomotives in West Baltimore, and thrown into Gwynns Falls?
"blown transformer". Hhhmmm. One assumes power utilities have transmission transformers blow all the time on their vast networks, and they manage to replace, restoring service, within 24 hours. I can understand it being a slightly more specialized part...but not that much more specialized. Is it really that hard to get Bombardier to scrunge one up? Can't you just take the specs to whomever makes such things, and have them wind one for you? Does it change the voltage in some magical way that no other transformer can change voltage?

In all seriousness though, or as serious as I can be...I sense that maybe the HHP-8s are being driven a little more gingerly than in years past? Is it possible they want to keep another from 'blowing its top' by not accelerating as quickly? I mean, power does equal I squared R. Slower is going to put less stress on it. I wish I'd had a way to screencap my GPS back in 2011, was it, when the old MARC that went direct from DC to BWI managed to hit 134 mph by the time it got to the Anacostia bridge. Standing room only train. Not making this up. It was impressive.
 #1449214  by amtrakhogger

134, eh? Uh yeah.
 #1449221  by dt_rt40

Thus Spoke Hoggathustra?

It was an early Garmin GPS, but had cost about $500 in 2008 or 09. It never recorded a speed other than 125 for a MARC train*, and was never more than 2 or so mph off in my car, including a trip across country. Always matched the speedometer. We seemed to be going faster than normal...it registered 125, and we continued to seem to accelerate. So, yeah, maybe just a fluke...maybe not. If I saw records showing Amtrak/MARC speedometers are calibrated every month or so, I'd be more convinced it was impossible. BTW 3 different smartphones since then never recorded over 125...and seldom touch that. Did GPS technology get so much more accurate since 2009? Maybe, maybe not.

* - actually maybe one other time went a little above, like 130. I used to run it quite often to clock the trains. Some Harford county hayseed once brought it to the attention of the conductor, as though maybe I wuz one of dem turrurists. A thin white 30 year old wearing a tie and with a government ID badge LOL. Whose knowledge of the train's speed was somehow dangerous.
 #1449290  by JackRussell

Fun fact - many phone GPS are still active even when the phone is in airplane mode. The phone won't be able to download maps (unless you pay for the $$$ airline WiFi), but there are cool apps such as the Android "GPS Test Plus" which give you position, altitude, heading and a few other things that it can give you.

And I have tried using the GPS while in an airplane - getting a good fix is sometimes hard, but holding the phone up to the window generally works better. But whenever I have done it, it seems to correctly register a speed of ~550mph thereabouts.
 #1449308  by STrRedWolf

dt_rt40 wrote:"blown transformer". Hhhmmm. One assumes power utilities have transmission transformers blow all the time on their vast networks, and they manage to replace, restoring service, within 24 hours. I can understand it being a slightly more specialized part...but not that much more specialized. Is it really that hard to get Bombardier to scrunge one up? Can't you just take the specs to whomever makes such things, and have them wind one for you? Does it change the voltage in some magical way that no other transformer can change voltage?

In all seriousness though, or as serious as I can be...I sense that maybe the HHP-8s are being driven a little more gingerly than in years past? Is it possible they want to keep another from 'blowing its top' by not accelerating as quickly?
That may be the case. I thought I remember some old operational logs that had recorded numerous issues with 4911 (including the June 2010 issue with MARC 538), and basically became a shop queen. Being careful with 4912/4915 would be best.
 #1449320  by amtrakhogger

The 4913 is floating around in service and was spotted on 523 this past Monday.
 #1449850  by avgeeky

dt_rt40 wrote:Thus Spoke Hoggathustra?

It was an early Garmin GPS, but had cost about $500 in 2008 or 09. It never recorded a speed other than 125 for a MARC train*, and was never more than 2 or so mph off in my car, including a trip across country. Always matched the speedometer. We seemed to be going faster than normal...it registered 125, and we continued to seem to accelerate. So, yeah, maybe just a fluke...maybe not. If I saw records showing Amtrak/MARC speedometers are calibrated every month or so, I'd be more convinced it was impossible. BTW 3 different smartphones since then never recorded over 125...and seldom touch that. Did GPS technology get so much more accurate since 2009? Maybe, maybe not.

* - actually maybe one other time went a little above, like 130. I used to run it quite often to clock the trains. Some Harford county hayseed once brought it to the attention of the conductor, as though maybe I wuz one of dem turrurists. A thin white 30 year old wearing a tie and with a government ID badge LOL. Whose knowledge of the train's speed was somehow dangerous.
I don't think there's a chance of it going over 125, maybe the motor can handle 150 but the MARC IIs and IIIs can only do 125. If you ever sit on the upper deck of a III you'll pray the swaying won't knock you off the tracks at 125( or so it feels :D). I don't think there's a place in MD where the limit is above 125 anyway.

Regarding acceleration, well I was on 430 this week and we were at 120 by the time the last car cleared the bridge over the Anacostia out of WAS. So maybe it was just operator preference.
 #1457883  by avgeeky

Do you happen to know what its reliability is like post-rebuild? Or does it still need to keep going to Ivy City after the morning run, possibly to come back after a few days?