Railroad Forums 

• Would Metro ever consider having a "Heritage Fleet"?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1219988  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: With the coming retirement of Metro's 70s era Rohr car fleet would Metro
consider either having in house or to transport museums a "Heritage Fleet" of these
cars and of subsequent car types as they are phased out and retired by the coming
7000 series fleet?

I feel that now is the time to consider this topic before all of Metro's original fleet
and older car types get retired...Another thought: Would Metro ever consider
becoming involved in and/or having a "Washington Transit Museum" that could
include older company histories like DC Transit similar to the NYC MTA Transit
Museum?

MACTRAXX
 #1220030  by Sand Box John

"MACTRAXX"
Everyone: With the coming retirement of Metro's 70s era Rohr car fleet would Metro consider either having in house or to transport museums a "Heritage Fleet" of these cars and of subsequent car types as they are phased out and retired by the coming 7000 series fleet?

I feel that now is the time to consider this topic before all of Metro's original fleet and older car types get retired...Another thought: Would Metro ever consider becoming involved in and/or having a "Washington Transit Museum" that could include older company histories like DC Transit similar to the NYC MTA Transit
Museum?

I would guess one of the museums that presently operates retired subway / elevated equipment could procure some of the 1k cars if the price were right.

I don't think the National Capital Trolley Museum would be able the host retied WMATA stock because of the sharp curvature on their railroad.

As to WMATA providing space for displaying retired stock, that one is probably on the bottom of priority list if it is on that list a all. At present WMATA has no facilities that is readily accessible to the public that could be used to display retired rolling stock.

My understanding is WMATA plans to keep a significant number of the 1k car in running condition well after all of the 7k cars have arrived for reserve purposes.

You can pretty much forget about the cars being reefed as the salvage price of aluminum is to high to dump them in the ocean.
 #1301399  by mtuandrew

I was just thinking about this (while riding a 1k series.) IRM could probably host a pair, Seashore could probably rig up a trolley pole system, and the B&O Museum in Baltimore and VMoT in Roanoke could display them. Maybe the Smithsonian would grab a stuffed and mounted Rohr for its collections, and possibly the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay and the Museum of the American Railroad would take them too. In DC or the area though, I can't think of anyone but WMATA that has the resources to house and run decommissioned Rohrs in special service.

As for preservation, perhaps the answer is to hold two or three sets for long-term storage beyond whatever goes to the other museums I mentioned. I could easily see a new organization springing up once the Rohrs are actually withdrawn.
 #1336730  by jayo

I think the NCTM should acquire a Rohr car, even if they just put it on static display. I also think the Smithsonian should acquire a Rohr as well as a Breda car(preferably an unrehabbed 2000/3000, but 4000 will suffice if there are none). I think they should have them exhibited in a recreation of an underground station!

Maybe Metro ought to borrow one or two DC transit streetcars, fit them with third rail shoes, and run fan trips with them! :P
 #1338247  by mtuandrew

jackintosh11 wrote:The smithsonian does have a CTA 6000 series in the museum of american history
If you come up with space for the Smithsonian to store a Rohr set, and grant funding for its restoration and preservation, they'd be happy to grab one once WMATA puts them out to pasture. Otherwise, it's not that simple.

Illinois Railroad Museum would have the facilities to run one though, if they had the money and space.
 #1338258  by Sand Box John

"jackintosh11"
The Metro cars do have a slightly smaller track gauge which might become a problem. I think it's a really small difference, but it might come up

It is the track gauge that is narrower not the gauge of the wheels. My guess is few would feel the difference in ride quality on track of the same class.
 #1338278  by Sand Box John

"jackintosh11"
And why is the gauge smaller? I've never understood this.

To reduce the lateral movement of the trucks on tangent track. Less lateral movement of the trucks equals a smother ride. Less lateral movement of the trucks reduces the wear on the track.
 #1344956  by mtuandrew

Sure would be nice to keep 1000-1001 around, Munchabunch. Anyone got a spare DC-area warehouse with rail access?

I bet the National Railway Museum up in Green Bay would at least be interested in a set too.
 #1344968  by Backshophoss

Since the NTSB is very "unhappy" that the 1K's are still in active service,don't think NTSB would like to see a pair to run as
a Museum piece on Metro trackage.
As I understand it,a pair of modified 1K's is used as the "Money Train" during the overnight no service hours.
Keeping 1 or 2 pairs around as a parts source to keep that pair running might be nice if a little used yard track
can be found to park them.