Railroad Forums 

• Google Maps - show me the lines!

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1213456  by JDC

I'm currently using the new Google Maps beta, which has a wonderful 'transit layer.' Is anyone else using this layer or experimented with it? What do people think of it? In particular, what do people think of the fact that Metro lines are not visible on the transit layer, nor do the lines appear when you select a station (just the arrival info appears)? Is this because of DC and security concerns? Or has no one gone through the effort to put in the lines? I know documentation exists that is easily accessible that shows exactly where each line runs, so maybe the information just needs to be put into the system by users?

For those that have no idea what I am talking about, some background: In Google Maps beta the transit layer (which I think is available under the drop down menu on the existing Google Maps interface) highlights the area's public transit network and de-emphasizes roads, etc. So, for instance, when activated for NYC or Paris, you get a wonderful visualization of all of the subway/metro lines and one can easily see their routes, connections, etc (and by routes I mean their actual route, not Metro's stylized version). Another wonderful benefit is that, even without activating the transit layer, if in NYC (or again Paris, etc) you click on a station, all of the lines that run through that station appear so you can see what lines serve that station and where they go. Also, even lines that do not serve the selected station appear, but they are a bit thinner and less obtrusive. The benefit of all of this is that you can click on A station and see that "oh, from A station I can take the 123 line north, and then I see that at B station the 5 line stops on its way to Z'. Add to this the information Google has on departure times and transit directions and it's a great tool that I use when traveling. Now, if only it existed in DC.
 #1213502  by lirr42

That feature has been around--at least in New York City--for quite a while now (back to the previous version of Google Maps) so you're probably not seeing all the lines laid out on the map at the moment because the entire system may not have been loaded into the maps at once (it may take a couple days to get everything). Either that or there might be a technical defect with the lines not appearing when certain stations are clicked.
 #1213513  by JDC

@lirr42 - Whether I am in the "old" Google Maps (the version everyone has who has NOT opted into the new beta) or the beta version, I never see the Metro's lines* displayed on the map when I: a) click on a station's name or b) turn on the transit layer. In fact, in 'old' Google maps there is not even a transit layer for Wash DC. Again, if I click on a subway/metro station's name in NYC (or Paris, etc), or turn on the transit layer in NYC (or Paris, etc), then all of the lines become visible.

The transit layer (beta and old version of Google Maps) works for London, Beijing, Seattle, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta (!) etc, but for some reason not DC (despite the size and age of our system). I therefore believe that there is some specific reason that DC does not have this layer, not just that no one has gotten around to it.

*When I say "lines", I don't mean the symbols showing where the station is located. I mean the actual lines on the map showing where, exactly, the tunnels and tracks are laid.
 #1213524  by lirr42

I know what you're talking about, Mr. JDC, this is what happens wen you click on a station in New York:

And when you put on the transit layer, you get this:

(for the record I am using the older version of Google Maps)

But when I mosey on over to the Washington Metro area, I go to enable the Transit layer and it says that it is not available in the area I selected and that I should move elsewhere and try again:

This leads me to believe that a transit layer has not yet been created by Google for this region. I do not think that the Washington Metro is being intentionally "left off" of Google's transit layer for any particular reason, just that the haven't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps they tested it out on some very small cities (like Atlanta and Seattle) because of their system's simplicity before moving to the really big cities since that added feature would benefit far more people.

It seems like Washington is stuck in the middle. It will probably come one day soon. So be on the lookout!
 #1213525  by lirr42

^ to add: I did some Googling on the subject, and the second link in those results mentioned that "The transit layer hasn't been launched for D.C. Google decides on a case-by-case basis if and when to launch the transit layer for a city based on internal criteria."
 #1213657  by JDC

John - I forgot about that page. Isn't that still a rough approximation though? It looks like they just have big bold lines connecting the stations (connect the dots) versus what you see for NYC, etc. Anyone can 'draw' on a Google map and add in features, and I think that's what Metro did for that map.

Lirr - thanks for the Googling and finding that information. Maybe a write in campaign?
 #1213662  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
John - I forgot about that page. Isn't that still a rough approximation though? It looks like they just have big bold lines connecting the stations (connect the dots) versus what you see for NYC, etc. Anyone can 'draw' on a Google map and add in features, and I think that's what Metro did for that map.

That pretty much describes WMATA's map. Here is a map I did that has the route alignments to an accuracy of about + or - 25'. WMATA 129 mile ARS. It is not done yest because it lacks all of the yards.
 #1214656  by jamesinclair

The transit layer has been around for 3-4 years.

In some cities, like Boston, there are even maps of each STATION, ie, where the fare gates are, which corridor gets you to which line etc.

Metro has opted out because they're terrible people and don't believe in helping their customer.
 #1214720  by dcmike

jamesinclair wrote: Metro has opted out because they're terrible people and don't believe in helping their customer.
Ouch.

Do you have a link or perhaps a copy of an email that shows an official statement from WMATA that they have indeed opted out?
 #1220450  by dcmike

Metro's lines now appear on both the regular and beta versions of Google Maps. They're just the connect-the-dots version however and not the actual tunnel locations.

Also, Google seems to have blown the cover on the super secret Orange Line express tunnel from Farragut West to Stadium-Armory :wink:

http://i.imgur.com/xZABkLI.png

http://i.imgur.com/d73WmDm.png
 #1220512  by JDC

dcmike - thanks for checking in on this. I had thought of doing so every few weeks, but forgot to do so. If you have not, I will submit a map error for the "Orange Line express" (what a great Easter egg Metro's been hiding!).

This is closer to what other cities have, and it's a step in the right direction. From what I read about this transit layer plus the data, it looks like it's something Metro would have to add to the Google Maps data system. The transit times are there, but not the lines - until now. So, progress at least.
 #1220534  by lirr42

Patience! We all had connect-the-dot lines at first. You should have seen some of Metro-North's New Haven Line express trains before the lines were refined, some cut straight across the Long Island Sound!
 #1283932  by JDC

Google Maps is now showing Silver Line info in its transit view. It shows incorrect times (7am train tomorrow, when trains don't start till noon) but it does show their existence. Stations appear if your search for them, but they don't display on the map yet.