Railroad Forums 

• Silver line commemorative farecard

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1207218  by Sand Box John

Would you purchase a Silver line commemorative farecard.

I posted the following idea at the online feedback at wmata.com

Here is an idea I though of to commemorate the opening of the stations on the Silver Line.

Print up a dozen rolls of paper farecards for each of the stations. Each station would have its own commemorative farecard. The commemorative farecards would only be sold from the farecard venders in the Silver line stations. The McLean station commemorative farecard would only be sold from the farecard venders at the McLean station same for the Tysons Corner, Greensboro, Spring Hill and Wiehle Reston-East stations.

Sell them for one year or until the supply of commemorative farecards runs out.
 #1207381  by jkovach

Since Mr. Sarles seems intent on killing the paper farecard, I doubt we'll be seeing any special-issue farecards anytime soon. They could do something similar with special SmarTrip cards, sold out of the SmarTrip vending machines at each station. And at $2 a pop it would be quite feasible to "collect them all". Not sure about the logistics/costs about producing so many different card designs, though.

They did do special commemorative SmarTrip cards for both Obama inaugurations, so there is some precedent. (The Metro online store is still selling the *2009* Obama commemorative cards, which suggests there may not have been as many takers as they anticipated...)
 #1207397  by Sand Box John

In my comment to WMATA I noted the fact the they are trying to ween folk off the use of paper farecards. It is obvious that SmarTrip cards are a more cost effective type of fare media then paper farecards. That being said I was think the idea of the commemorative farecard would allow WMATA to capture an amount revenue the would never be used to pay a fare.

It should be noted that WMATA will pass out free passes on opening day at the stations that are good for a one way trip from the any of the Silver line station. I have several from past openings. Here is the one from 03 27 1976:

#1209002  by JDC

Depending on work and weather, I plan on riding the Silver Line opening day - likely from Rosslyn through Spring Hill (not sure I'll go all the way to Wiehle). I will definitely get off at each stop, walk around the station, and maybe even exit at Tysons to walk around a bit. I plan on picking up a farecard if possible.
 #1211224  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
Depending on work and weather, I plan on riding the Silver Line opening day - likely from Rosslyn through Spring Hill (not sure I'll go all the way to Wiehle). I will definitely get off at each stop, walk around the station, and maybe even exit at Tysons to walk around a bit. I plan on picking up a farecard if possible.

You might as well go out to Wiehle, entry at all of the Silver line stations will be free on opening day. The maximum one would pay if entering the system from an existing station is $3.50, the return trip from any of the Silver line stations will be free.

I will be out there, camera in hand. Will likely be wearing my commemorative Green line opening sweatshirt.
Last edited by Sand Box John on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1211289  by Sand Box John

"jkovach"

Too bad they don't give out the old (date-and-time-stamped) paper bus transfers anymore...

Dam, I had completely for gotten about the demise of the bus transfers.
 #1276142  by metrofarecards

I know in the past metro has passed out the paper vouchers on a station's opening day, but has this been confirmed for the silver line? I don't want to metro all the way out to Virginia only to find that they aren't distributing them. Also, great photo of the 1976 opening day voucher, Sand Box John! I have a good collection of the commemorative paper fare and smartrip cards that have been issued over the years, but I don't have any of the opening day vouchers yet.
 #1276455  by Sand Box John

"metrofarecards"
I know in the past metro has passed out the paper vouchers on a station's opening day, but has this been confirmed for the silver line? I don't want to metro all the way out to Virginia only to find that they aren't distributing them. Also, great photo of the 1976 opening day voucher, Sand Box John! I have a good collection of the commemorative paper fare and smartrip cards that have been issued over the years, but I don't have any of the opening day vouchers yet.

Provided WMATA follows tradition, opening day free passes will be made available to passengers only boarding at the new stations. So if you board anywhere in the existing system you will pay the normal fare when exiting at the new stations. Your trip from any of the new stations to anywhere in the existing will be free.

Now I don't know how late they will be passing out and or honoring the opening day free passes as I usually called it a day around 4:00 PM.
 #1278072  by MACTRAXX

Sand Box John wrote:In my comment to WMATA I noted the fact the they are trying to ween folk off the use of paper farecards. It is obvious that SmarTrip cards are a more cost effective type of fare media then paper farecards. That being said I was think the idea of the commemorative farecard would allow WMATA to capture an amount revenue the would never be used to pay a fare.

It should be noted that WMATA will pass out free passes on opening day at the stations that are good for a one way trip from the any of the Silver line station. I have several from past openings. Here is the one from 03 27 1976:

SBJ: Two comments: The original opening day commemorative card for Metro's first line which was the Red Line between Rhode Island Avenue and
Farragut North in the Spring if 1976 (in case anyone did not know) is a neat collectible - something I have never seen before...I recall that the use
of Farecards began in 1977 when parts of the downtown Blue Line opened...This turns out to be literally the first of many Metro collectible fare cards
with the 1976-1986 10 Years Together with the M pylon in blue standing out in my mind as a favorite...

How about selling commemorative Metro SmarTrip cards for the Silver Line opening and also giving out dated collectible ST cards on that first day?
That would be in reply to that comment about Metro encouraging riders to use ST cards in favor of Farecards - I also think that Metro could sell a
fare card type mentioning the Silver Line covering that angle...

MACTRAXX
 #1278847  by metrofarecards

I'm assuming everyone has seen this already but the SmarTrip cards commemorating the National Zoo's 125th celebration are now on sale via wmata's online shop.

And yes, the 1986 10 year anniversary card is one of my favorites too! Though right now I'm appreciating the 1994 world soccer championship 3 day pass.
 #1279517  by scotty269

metrofarecards wrote:Commemorative silver line card is being released July 26th both at silver line stations and online. SmarTrip card has the a silver logo with the letters SV.
I can confirm this.
 #1279535  by JDC

Picture of special edition card is here: http://silverlinemetro.com/taking-shape/

"Metro plans to release a new SmarTrip card on July 26th to commemorate the opening of the Silver Line. The cards will be available in the five new Silver Line stations on opening day. They also will be available for purchase online and at all Metro sales offices, and will be rolled out in stations throughout the system. Like other special edition SmarTrip cards, the SV cards will be available for $10 and will come loaded with $8 in fare value."