Railroad Forums 

• Extensions to: Fort Belvior, Fort Meade

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#135286  by RailMike

All of a sudden it seems, with the impending workforce consolidations by the Department of Defense, two new Metrorail extensions have been proposed. Ft. Belvior was mentioned a week or two ago; the one to Fort Meade I only heard about this morning.

The Ft. Belvior extension could be done one of two ways: extend blue from Franconia/Springfield, or yellow from Huntington. The Blue Line makes most sense because (a) it's shorter, and (b) there's already a RR right-of-way available for much of the way. In fact, there's even a spur from the old RF&P line right into the base! While the spur has been abandoned for a while, the bridge over US-1 is still intact and to the best of my knowledge has not been encroached. Whereas the Yellow Line would have to follow US-1 most of the way, requiring either an imposing overhead structure or an expensive subway.

The recommended Ft. Meade extension is the Green Line, which I presume would follow the B&O/CSX mainline from Greenbelt, through Laurel, to a place called Annapolis Junction, just before Route 32. From there, a former WB&A line used to run from there, right through the base, all the way to Odenton (I think it was 1937 that it was cut back from Annapolis). While the wye remains along with a few hundred feet of spur track, this line was abandoned in 1992. The right-of-way is intact except for ramps built at MD-198 and MD-295, not to mention the MD-32 freeway itself, plus a new concrete building that made a clean perpendicular cut across the base tracks, some of which are still in place. Hmm, abandoning those tracks seems so shortsighted now. I wonder if I'll live to hear an intercom voice say "NSA/Cryptography Museum, doors open on the left."

#138500  by Robert Paniagua

I think those two extensions you're talking about here are very good ideas, not only it'll bring those workforces into town, but it will also attract more residents of the area as well, thus leaving their automobiles behind.

I also think that the best choice for the Virginia extension would be along the Franconia-Springfield Blue Line, since it has enough room past Franc/Sprg to add another 7 miles of track, or even more.

The Greenbelt Extension you're talking about would bring the Green Line outside of I-495 for the first time, which would be good, since it's the only line with neither end going out of I-495.
 #141923  by walt

RailMike wrote:
The recommended Ft. Meade extension is the Green Line, which I presume would follow the B&O/CSX mainline from Greenbelt, through Laurel, to a place called Annapolis Junction, just before Route 32. From there, a former WB&A line used to run from there, right through the base, all the way to Odenton (I think it was 1937 that it was cut back from Annapolis).
That line was abandoned in 1936 when the WB&A was sold at auction on the steps of the Anne Arundel County Courthouse. For several years the WB&A had received a tax exemption from the Maryland General Assembly. Renewal of this exemption failed to pass by one vote in 1936 so the WB&A was sold to some of the original bond holders of its underlying companies and re-organized as the Baltimore & Annapolis (B&A). The B&A continued to operate the Baltimore-Annapolis North Shore Route until 1951, but the South Shore Route and the Baltimore- DC route were abandoned. The southern end of the Baltimore Central Light Rail Line uses part of the old B&A ROW south of Camden Yards.

Annapolis Junction is a Howard County "town" which derives its name from the point at which the Annapolis- South Shore route diverged from the Baltimore- DC route.