Railroad Forums 

• MARC NEC ops questions

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#130550  by hsr_fan

Does MARC always put the locomotive on the north end of its push pull NEC trains, or does it vary? It seems that most if not all of the MARC trains I've seen had the locomotive pulling northbound and pushing southbound.

Also, what is the top speed for the various types of MARC NEC equipment, including diesel hauled trains, AEM-7's, and HHP-8's? I imagine the diesels don't exceed 90 or 100, but do the electric MARC trains get up to 110 or 125 mph?

#187003  by Carmine

That's a good question HSR_FAN. I hope someone can answer it, as with this question as well... What would a MARC HHP-8 Consist be like. How many cars does it usually carry?

#187088  by octr202

MARC almost always puts the locomotives on the north end, because of Union Station. Keeps the locomotives (esp. diesel) away from the terminal, and allows the coaches to be closer to the end of the stub track platforms.

I believe that MARC coaches are good for 125 on the NEC, but I'm not certian. I don't have an ETT to read from.