Railroad Forums 

• How long are farecards good for?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#96788  by jwhite07

Over the years I have traveled to Washington DC on occasion, I've managed to accumulate a half dozen or so farecards that still have value on them. Some of the farecards may be up to 15 years old at this point; even the newest ones are from three years ago.

If I ever get down to DC again, would it be possible to use these old cards and recoup the money I put on them, or do these things expire eventually?

#96907  by MACTRAXX

JWHITE: I do not think that there is a expiration date for farecards. I remember that Pay-per-ride was always valid as long as there was money value on it. One thing that you can do is go to a farecard machine and use the 'TRADE-IN' feature and check for money value - or go to a friendly station attendant and have them check the card. I remember back in the 80s I found a farecard with $16.80 in value. The card had an exit code and an attendant I befriended checked the card and erased the used ride-80 cents and I had sixteen dollars of Metrorail ride to work with. I hope this info helps - MACTRAXX

#115544  by Robert Paniagua

Unlike NYCTA, I doubt the WMATA farecards expire, even if you have one from January 1987, for example. Here in Boston, we are just getting underway with our own "Charlie Card", I don't know for sure if those expire...

#120515  by AMoreira81

Out of curiosity, is the SmarTrip similar to the CharlieCard?

#230198  by geoking66

I e-mailed Metro and this is their response:

"Thank you for taking the time to write Metro's Yellow-Green Line Team
regarding our fare media. Yes, some Metro cards do expire. The one day
rail pass, the 7 day fast pass, the 7 day short pass, and the the
weekly bus pass expires. However, the regular Metrorail paper farecard, and
the Smartrip trip card (can be used on bus, rail, and to pay parking
fee) does not expire."