Railroad Forums 

• James E Strates Fair Train in Brookhaven?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1040346  by Backshophoss

This should be interesting,if it happens,it will get very crowded at KO or a Looong bus ride from the Garden/Mitchell Secondary.
If the website info is correct,this train is as long as the RBBX train was earlier this year.
 #1040414  by Doc Emmet Brown

The reason why the circus train is layed up on the garden mitchel secondary is because its adjacent to the nassau coliseum.
If this train makes it to LI it will probably be layed up on sidings on the main line east of KO.
There are sidings on the main line that are not used for meets because only the scoot runs out there now.
In this video, looked like 55 cars, many of which had tractor trailers on them, which would seem to indicate they are very adept at moving the equipment some distances from railroad sidings.
Perhaps they will use yaphank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5iYTrolKFs
For all I know they could lay it up in NJ and truck the things to LI. However my thinking would be a siding or 2 on the mainline... maybe tool knows.
Last time I saw this train, a few years ago at the westchester county fair, it had an old LIRR coach in the consist. So perhaps an old LIRR coach will return home for a visit.
Layed up in westchester.
ex lirr coach.
They gutted the interior to make rooms for the employees
 #1040424  by Backshophoss

61 cars at 85 feet per car is 5,185 feet +/-,with a little room to load/unload equipment.
I don't remember a yard at YA,just a "small siding" good for 39 cars(at 50ft per car,1,950 ft)
only other option would be to "slice+ dice" the train at Farm1 and Farm 2 plugging up every siding in the area!
Maybe Doc Brown or nyd+w have better ideas?
 #1040844  by jhdeasy

Doc Emmet Brown wrote: Last time I saw this train, a few years ago at the westchester county fair, it had an old LIRR coach in the consist. So perhaps an old LIRR coach will return home for a visit.
Layed up in westchester]
JESX 7 is the former LIRR 2926

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2377874
 #1041782  by ajt

Strates' train is in Middletown NY. They unloaded there and trucked to Wappingers Falls for an engagement there. They will next truck to Brookhaven, then return to Middletown for a show there. They go to western NY following Middletown.
 #1041872  by jayrmli

Also, going back to a suggestion that Doc mentioned, laying the train up on a couple of the Main Line sidings probably wouldn't work. Looking at the train, there may be some cars that are higher than 17 feet (at least when loaded), which wouldn't fit under the bridge west of Yaphank station...

Jay