Railroad Forums 

• Old Map of Long Island showing LIRR and South Side RR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#4472  by nyandw

It's after 1888 as Patchogue is in place and the line is already extended past there. Perhaps someone else can narrow it down further.
Best, Steve

#4508  by NIMBYkiller

uhhh....i cant see it

#4520  by JoeLIRR

Neither can I
 #4640  by robertwa

I'd say around 1879. The NY & Hempstead Plains RR (from Valley Stream to Hempstead) is still shown and that line was abandoned in 1879. Also, the extension from Patchogue to Eastport, which was built in 1879, is shown.

Here's the url of the map for those who can't see it - I think it has something to do with geocities not letting you post links.

http://www.geocities.com/andrew302010/map3.jpg

#4669  by NIMBYkiller

The url doesn't work. Either way, if one of the lines ends at Great Neck and not Port Washington, the map is pre- June 1988

#4679  by JoeLIRR

This definitly looks like a 19th century map, maby an eairly 20th centuy map. I cant tell the exact yr
 #4690  by Dave Keller

The map won't open for me.

Any ideas?

Dave Keller

#4727  by NIMBYkiller

Ok, now I can see it. I've narrowed down the time frame from 1870 to 1888. This is b/c the old south side line to Hempstead is there and not the current line to WH, and the extension from Great Neck to PW isn't on the map(this was opened June 23rd, 1888)

#4775  by JMBethpage

This map must be before 1895. Look at the Wading River Extension, starting at the east end of the Port Jeff. line. It is a dashed line indicating a proposed track, not a built track. The Wading River Extension operated from 1895 to 1938. So I would say the map dates to around 1890-95.

#4798  by mkm4

Hmmm,

The map still mentions the South Side and the NY & Hempstead RR's by name, so it might narrow it down to before 1876, when they all merged into the LIRR, but it could just be that the map makers didn't update the names.

Also, Great River is still called Young[s] Port on the map. The name was changed about 1870.

#4838  by RRChef

To narrow it down a little further, the map shows New Hyde Park P.O.. The orignal name that was applied for was Hyde Park, but was rejected by the Post Office because of the existence of a village with that name in Duchess County. This was in 1871.
 #4843  by Dave Keller

Here's what I've come up with and please bear with me.

The map is from 1873.

First of all, Locust Valley is shown as the terminus of the branch. Locust Valley was opened in 1869.

Oyster bay was built in 1889.

Therefore the map is sometime between 1869 and 1889. Using the other posters' comments about the connection to Eastport, etc. would make this era about right.

Now, let's fine tune it some more:

Along the main line, BOTH Suffok Station and Central Islip are listed as stops. Suffolk Station was closed in 1873 with the opening of Central Islip the same year.

As they are both shown as stops, it would appear that CI had just opened and Suffolk Station had not yet been removed.

Hence, 1873.

Does the reasoning sound OK?

Dave Keller