Railroad Forums 

• Brakeman killed at Sayville in ...late 90's

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#835700  by eracerx

I am trying to find information on Brian Flynn, an LIRR employee who was killed at Sayville many years ago.
Any information would be helpful. His HS graduating class is compiling information on those of us who are no longer with us.
Thank you
- Herman Abinette
 #847877  by condr78

Although I didn't know him personally, it was known he was a people person, one who would go out of his way to assist the riding public. I'm not certain, but believe he was formerly a policemen. From what I remember, the tragedy occurred while attempting to board a moving diesel train after assisting a handicapped person on the platform. Remembrance pins were issued bearing his name.
 #847883  by Fla East Coast Chris

Brian was the brakeman on train 2702 on a Monday morning when it happened. The engineer was the same engineer involved with the Herricks Road accident.
Brian helped the person,who stumbled on the platform while the train was pulling out and tried to get back on the train and slipped and went under. Brian was one man above me on the roster when I was in train service. Yes pins were made for his remembrance. I have one here in my achive at home.
Chris
 #848096  by 2behind1

The Newsday article at the time said Brian was killed "In an act of kindness". The newly minted Safety Director (after he was given this assignment from transportation manpower)at the time came out with a stale excuse about safety without acknowledging that proper training was lacking when this group was in class (FEC could bear this out). Getting on an off a train at that era should have been a prerequisite.
 #850162  by Silent man

It was not the late 90's it was the late 80/early 90's
I worked the job a few days later off the list.
It was the old run 1, the AM round trip to Montauk
I think it was during warm weather, I am not sure.
Chris, was it 2702 then, or Train 2? (same train but they changed the numbers)
As the train started to move at sayville, Brian had just entered the first car which had been closed to the public.

As he turned to slide the door closed in the deadhead car, Brain noticed a passenger stumble off the moving train.
He went down to make sure the pasenger was alright, then attempted to re-board the moving train.

On the old equipment, their were grab irons on both side of the steps.
The old timers were taught to grab the grab iron on the side of the steps, in the direction the train was moving, (the far side) not the one behind the steps.
This way, if the train was moving too fast, the speed of the train would naturaly pull the person and swing them onto the steps.
Sadly, by that time, the RR had started worrying more about customer awareness classes, and political correctness classes.
Brian had not had basic safety instructions, but we are sure he went to the classes mentioned above.
Brian, grabbed the iron behind the steps, and the motion of the train pulled him and swung him between the cars.
He could not hold on and went under.
So he did die helping a passenger.
Thats just the way he was, he had been an NYC cop before he came to the RR, and had a good serve the public attitude.
His widow and family were taken care of as I recall.
Many of us had payroll deductions taken out of our salaries to help.
As Chris had said, there were also lapel pins made and the proceeds were given to his family.
I am not privy to the facts, but from what I understand the RR bent some rules to provide also.
I believe there was also UTU accidental death insurance too.
Yes , it was the same Engineer that was operating the train at the herricks road accident.
He has no blame whatsoever for either accident, sad though that he had to be there for both.
I know both accidents really troubled him.
Herricks road was 1982, this was a few years later.
Chris, can ya tell us what year that was? As I recall you were on that train that night, deadheading home.
Let us know.
 #850178  by kmart

Silent man wrote:It was not the late 90's it was the late 80/early 90's
I worked the job a few days later off the list.
It was the old run 1, the AM round trip to Montauk
I think it was during warm weather, I am not sure.
Chris, was it 2702 then, or Train 2? (same train but they changed the numbers)
As the train started to move at sayville, Brian had just entered the first car which had been closed to the public.

As he turned to slide the door closed in the deadhead car, Brain noticed a passenger stumble off the moving train.
He went down to make sure the pasenger was alright, then attempted to re-board the moving train.

On the old equipment, their were grab irons on both side of the steps.
The old timers were taught to grab the grab iron on the side of the steps, in the direction the train was moving, (the far side) not the one behind the steps.
This way, if the train was moving too fast, the speed of the train would naturaly pull the person and swing them onto the steps.
Sadly, by that time, the RR had started worrying more about customer awareness classes, and political correctness classes.
Brian had not had basic safety instructions, but we are sure he went to the classes mentioned above.
Brian, grabbed the iron behind the steps, and the motion of the train pulled him and swung him between the cars.
He could not hold on and went under.
So he did die helping a passenger.
Thats just the way he was, he had been an NYC cop before he came to the RR, and had a good serve the public attitude.
His widow and family were taken care of as I recall.
Many of us had payroll deductions taken out of our salaries to help.
As Chris had said, there were also lapel pins made and the proceeds were given to his family.
I am not privy to the facts, but from what I understand the RR bent some rules to provide also.
I believe there was also UTU accidental death insurance too.
Yes , it was the same Engineer that was operating the train at the herricks road accident.
He has no blame whatsoever for either accident, sad though that he had to be there for both.
I know both accidents really troubled him.
Herricks road was 1982, this was a few years later.
Chris, can ya tell us what year that was? As I recall you were on that train that night, deadheading home.
Let us know.
very well put.I remember Brian when he first hired on....workrd 168 in brooklyn. Such a shame..he was a really nice guy.
 #850245  by Silent man

yes and 301 was a relief job which covered run 1 that morning..
does anyone know what year that was?
and what year they went from Train 2 to 2702?
 #907029  by Tmk

May 20 1991. I must commend you lirr employees! You were awesome during a horrible time. All of You have a great second family working here! Cherish it. Three step children left behind , karen jim and chris. He loved them like their real dad! Miss you bri !
 #1074026  by eileenm

I also went to school with Brian (he graduated Sachem '77) and had lost touch after HS :( Does anyone know how I can purchase one of the buttons made for his memory and ALSO where he was was laid to rest?? Thank you!! He was a special guy and like he died, always looking out for others and putting himself second. May he RIP and I look forward to seeing his smiling face again some day.God bless his family.