Railroad Forums 

• Woodhaven Station - Abandoned

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#797376  by Dabba

On my way to the atlantic terminal in bk today, i was fortunate enough to transfer to an m3 with an open first car at jamiaca. After entering into the tunnel, i noticed what appeared to be an abandoned station, bevfore tthe east ny stop, maybe just half a mile to a mile after entering the tunnel. almost looked like an old subway station. any info? and i also noticed an exit to the tunnel to the left just prior to reaching the atlanic terminal. and old yard perhaps? thanks
 #797622  by nyandw

Lirr168 wrote:For what it's worth, Bob Andersen has '72 (http://lirrhistory.com/abansta.html) and Steve Lynch has '77 (http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirrphotos/ ... istory.htm).
from Dave Keller's Station History: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirrphotos/ ... ISTORY.pdf It is 1977

WOODHAVEN JCT. ATLANTIC OPENED: 7/1895, RAZED: 1939
WHEN BRANCH WENT UNDERGROUND.
2ND, UNDERGROUND DEPOT OPENED:
c. 1939, RENAMED “WOODHAVEN”.
THE JUNCTION WAS TAKEN OUT
OF SERVICE: 6/8/62 AND ROCKAWAY
BEACH BRANCH ABANDONED:
6/9/62. DISCONTINUED
AS STATION STOP: 1/10/77.
 #798202  by LIengineerBob

Yes, the new "temporary" VD yard, located where the NYCTA bus/NY Daily News truck storage lot was, has been in operation since November of last year. Construction of the first half of the permanent yard is scheduled to begin by the end of this year.

The yard seen in the photo posted above is the location of the old yard, which is now totally removed and construction has begun of the new sports arena.
 #1454900  by Jenny on a M2

Hi Everyone!

Recently I went to see a show at the Barclays Center with a couple of my friends from LI and as such I finally took a trip down the Atlantic Branch with them.

Needless to say, I happened to be looking out the right side window at just the right moment as the train pulled slowly through what appeared to be a disused IND station from my grandmother's day that now seemed to serve as storage for track maintenance crews....which then led to a bunch of googling, the discovery of trainsarefun.com (amazingly informative site, BTW!), and now I know about the former Woodhaven Junction station.

Here's the one thing I couldn't find photos of or figure out from the drawings I saw online: How did passengers access the underground INDesque Atlantic Branch station when it was in service? Were the stairs to it under the stairs to the Rockaway Branch platforms or somewhere else?

A recent detour to the location of the old station after dropping a friend off at JFK turned up no clues that the station even exists other than a couple emergency hatches on the sidewalk that are marked as access points for tunnel pumps; other than that the rest of the station complex underneath the Rockaway Branch seems to be behind metal grates and leased by some local businesses.

Soooo...instead of getting arrested for trespassing (orange is SO not my color) I thought I'd leverage the wealth of LIRR historical knowledge in this forum and ask here. :-D

Thanks so much!

PS - Apologies in advance if this has been answered in the past; I did try using the search feature before posting :-)
 #1454908  by Crabman1130

When I was a kid in the 60's, a friends parents owned an ice cream company on Atlantic Ave. We would run down to the platform to watch the trains run through the station. There were subway like entrances from Atlantic Ave.