Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#2698  by LIRR chick

Could someone please tell me what to expect I just started my first day of training. Also could someone convince me that all this unpaid training will be worth it and that it is an amazing job. One more thing, aside from conductor, where else can one go after AC for 2 years? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

#2727  by Peanuts

It is well worth it.. sometimes it feels like it is never going to end but if you put your time and effort into it.. you will love every second of it.. the job is alot of fun.. you mget to meet different people.. and its an enviroment like nothing I worked in before..
 #2747  by JoeLIRR

How long is the unpaid training period, (month/ 2 months..)

Also where are the classes held

#2964  by LIRR chick

Thank you for the insight peanuts, I just came from a job that I really grew to hate going to everyday and I really hope not to fall into that kind of trap again. It does seem that people at LIRR are relaxed, competant, and happy. Is there anything you can tell me about the new pension plan? I've read it, but I don't quite get it. Do you have to work 30 yrs. before it amounts to anything?

BTW LIRRJoe (fellow Valley Streamer) the training is 15-16 weeks, then you begin phase 2 (this portion is paid training)
 #3086  by JoeLIRR

15-16 weeks thanks, now if I can only get on. I know people and im still having a hard time getting on. myby its the age, bont know for shure.

but anyways, whats with this new pension plan and the 30 yrs.
 #3087  by JoeLIRR

15-16 weeks thanks, now if I can only get on. I know people and im still having a hard time getting on. myby its the age, bont know for shure.

but anyways, whats with this new pension plan and the 30 yrs.

fellow Valley Streamer, what would be the average age group that the LIRR hires for AC, 18 & up, 21 & up, or other.

#3473  by LIRR chick

Joe LIRR,

I couldn't say what the average age is, but as I look around the room, everyone is at least 25. I am sure there are exceptions to this however.
BTW the classes are at the Hillside facility.

#3474  by LIRR chick

anybody know about the new pension that I mentioned before?
 #7294  by train newbee

Hey LIRR Chick good luck in training. I have been Invited to attend Pre-Phase 1 Next week. I was hoping if you could give some info on what to expect. How about Dress Code?
Thanks.
All the best with training.

#10013  by LIRR chick

Train newbee,

dress well and expect to study a lot, they will tell you everything else that you need to know. Good Luck!
 #14465  by LIRR chick

I just wanted someone, anyone out there who may have a clue, What is the new Pension ? How does it work can you retire after 20 years? The UTU web site does not give any info.