• LIRR Pullman Standard MU's same as NYC MU's?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Otto Vondrak

I know we talked about this on the old site... Besides the difference in third rails, were the Pullman-Standard MU's the LIRR purchased in the 1950s the same as the ones the NYC purchased?

-otto-

by KFRG

Great question.
Seems they are, give or take specifications for each RR, but both look to be of the same design and build specs.
Anyone with some indepth info?

-Tom

by Nasadowsk

IIRC, at least as of now, the ACMUS are SCM control with dynamics. I think the Zip cars were PC without dynamic. I don't know when the LIRR changed to GE controls on their cars, it was either the Zip or the stuff ordered right before it in the 50's. I don't know what the ACMUs had origionally, and if MN changed it with the rebuild.

The ACMUs look close, but they taper inward at the ends and I think are slightly narrower, have manual doors, and no bump below the cab window.

BTW, that bump was NOT for the control stuff in the cabs for dynamics or cab signal, it was always there on the MP-54s and Zips.

Oh yeah, the ACMUs use a different controller in the cab.

I wouldn't be surprised if the body design is mostly the same (ditto for the cars before the ACMUs, which look like the old LIRR diesel cars), but I think the control gear was different.

When they rebuilt the MP-54s in the 50's, what was changed? I think they put GE motors on some, what else?

by DutchRailnut

The ACMU's exept for the two AC propulsion test cars never had dynamic brake.
straight air and EP brake only

by Nasadowsk

Oh.

Why did i think they had them? *shrug*

Oh yeah, who did the AC traction equipment for the two tests? GE?

by Paul

Both NYCS & LIRR Mu's show up in my Car And Locomotive Cyclopedia 1966, only a photo of the NYCS and a photo and floor plan of the LIRR apear in the book. They have some minor exterior differances, (windshield wiper location for one) but apear to be the same carbody wize. Lets find a right and left photo of both types and see how many windows etc there are.