Railroad Forums 

• LIRR to US Open (golf) in June

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#17811  by timz

The brochure says LIRR will run thru trains from Penn to the station "specially built by the USGA for this event." They built it this year? How long is the platform(s)?

Says "All tickets will be collected at the U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills stop." But the trains all stop at Jamaica and some make other stops; will train crews prevent eastbound riders from leaving the train at Mineola or Hicksville or Babylon?

#17852  by bluebelly

A temporary station has been build at the sight of the former SouthHampton College station

#17937  by jayrmli

There is also supposed to be a pedestrian bridge over the tracks and Sunrise Highway, as was done previously.

Jay

#17987  by krapug

AS a resident of the East End who is at constant battle with the LIRR for
up to date scheduling of the Montauk (and Greenport Branch) I find
this US Golf Open Schedule (which is now posted on the LIRR website)
quite interesting.

The reason that we now keep hearing from Dermody & Co for our pathetic year round train schedules is that the LIRR does not have enough Diesel Equipment to go around, and thus is prevented from adding trains to the East End schedule card.

Funny for this Blue Blood Golf Open they are adding an entire host of extra trains (both weekday and weekend), and stopping at a temporary station being built for the event.

I guess some additional Diesel Equipment just fell from the sky.

Ken
 #18029  by Jayjay1213

As of 06May04, the Ped. overpass was in place.

Jason

#18053  by NIMBYkiller

So....would I be able to take this train from Mineola to Patchogue?

What will the destination signs on the trains read? US Open? Shinnecock Hills? Nothing?

Also, two questions regarding this stations history and current location. Did Golf Grounds become the Southampton LIU stop? Also, is this new stop at the former Shinnecock Hills stop, Golf Grounds stop, or Southampton LIU stop?

Any info appreciated, thx

#18255  by jayrmli

Krapug:

You can add additional service like they are doing for the US Open for a limited amount of time without purchasing new equipment. However, you would need to purchase new equipment if this was to be done everyday.

Daily service has to take into account engines out of service for maintenance, breakdowns, etc. In addition, some trains will have to be either shortened or borrowed to run this service.

NIMBYkiller:

The temporary station is probably in the same spot as the old Southampton LIU stop. This is not the same location as the old Golf Grounds stop, although it is close to it.

Jay

#18259  by krapug

The temporary station is actually very close to the former "Golf Rounds" station. I noticed this last week when I was on the afternoon train from Montauk.

I guess that this will be the first wooden high level platform station (in recent times) on the LIRR.

Ken