Railroad Forums 

• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1475813  by PlaneLoverA380

Even more idiotic question, I'm new here.

Will the simulators come with the screen, or like the M1, just the cab and controls?

Also, where is the M7 and DE/DM sims going? Next to the M1, or by the Alco cab?
 #1475854  by MADDOG

HI PlaneloverA380-
welcome to the forum and don't ever feel like you are idiotic!
Ask anything you need an answer for.
As for the new simulators, they were accepted as-is without any computer equipment for actual use.
The M1 and Alco cab are up front at the entrance so we put the M7 and the DE/DM at the rear of the property. You can easily see the DE/DM as you walk up from the front gate.
This is only temporary for as we develop the site, they will be moved as will everything else.
MADDOG
 #1475871  by PlaneLoverA380

Well, I'll be paying a visit to the museum soon, love the M1 cab, would be ecstatic to be in a DM!

Edit: You got pictures of these?
 #1475882  by MADDOG

We have plenty of photos however I cannot post them to this page.
you can go to the Oyster Bay RR Museum Facebook page to see them.
MADDOG
 #1475933  by M1 9147

Hello all! Just a heads up within the next week or two we will have a new computer at the Railroad Museum of Long Island’s GP-38-2 simulator in which I’m in charge of the replacement computer. We’ve been having issues with the one currently with crashing. Please look soon for the updated one with a better version of the Simulator Program m soon!
 #1475940  by PlaneLoverA380

I also heard rumors about there being a computer in the M1? Is it there, coming there, or not coming? If it's coming, then will it be the full cab window, all windows, or just a screen?
 #1475996  by MADDOG

PlaneLoverA380 wrote:I also heard rumors about there being a computer in the M1? Is it there, coming there, or not coming? If it's coming, then will it be the full cab window, all windows, or just a screen?
RMLI has the GP38-2 simulator
OBRM has the M1/M7 simulator
OBRM has the DE/DM30 simulators
The M1 had a simulator that was programmable but due to mis-handling by the visitors, we decided to just have a program running on the screen at all times.
Not the best solution, but beats having to hire someone to constantly come up to repair the functions.
MADDOG
 #1476258  by M1 9147

We at RMLI use just a basic computer monitor for our simulator along with the Train Simulator controls you can get at a computer store!
 #1478845  by MADDOG

PlaneLoverA380 wrote:Is it a full-window screen? Also, what do you mean by "program"? A video, or just one route to run?
It's a video screen with one route running as far as I know.
 #1478847  by MADDOG

FROM OBRM-
It's been a while since my last update, so forgive me.
While John P, our resident Diesel Guru has been replacing sheet metal along the lower walls of former LIRR GE-25 tonner #398, we have also been busy on the continued restoration of our Ping Pong Coach(PPC) #7433. since I last posted, we have replaced all of the felt window strips along the vertical sides. We haven't yet found new top and bottom weather seals, but the search is ongoing. We had C&J Mobile "DUSTLESS" Sandblasting of Port Jefferson Station come up to strip the PPC of all paint. It was a two week job but produced very nice results which now shows us "problem areas" which will need to be addressed with a needle scaler for further removal of deeply embedded "stuff". This work has been undertaken by Bernard, George, Fred, Paul, Leon, "Hicksville' Danny, 'Lynbrook' Danny and me.
At this point we are just letting the car go to rust so we can later roll on a nice coating of "Loctite Extend" which will convert the rust to a rust free coating. The roof is already there. Over the Summer we will begin to weld in the previously fabricated tubular steel crossmembers.

Also, steel work on the tender has begun with a new front corner piece of 1/4" thick steel plate which we had Aquel Sheetmetal of Harlem custom roll for us. Being in two pieces, our welder and fabricator, Fred Rubin has already assembled the parts into one major sub-assembly ready for a new bottom, then installation. This piece was previously removed before #35 was transferred to Mitchel Field.

While all of this has been going on, we also have been making great strides on the turntable electrification.
As of yesterday, Saturday July 6th, we had run the four conductors from the turntable collector box on top to the master cutoff switch, the 4 conductors from that same switch to the main breaker box, the four main power cables from the breaker box to the meter pan and finally from the meter pan up the pole to the weather head.
Future work will allow us to make the final electrical connection to the grid and to the motor/resistor bank and to the control stand. As it looks now, we should have the turntable ready for test runs by the Oyster Festival in October. Barring any unforeseen circumstances!!
All volunteers previously mentioned along with me, Steve T, John S with guidance by our electrician-Steve Bauer.
Thanks to Wonderland Tree Service of Oyster Bay for lending us a hand by loaning us a Bucket truck and an operator-Mario.

Also, the west wall of the Historic Presidential RR Station has been completely stripped of paint along with the oyster shells.
Strangely enough, our historic paint analyst has found that the oyster shells were originally NOT PAINTED and some of the wooden trim was only varnished with clear coating. Once we get the new Tudor trim installed over the summer, our historic painting contractor will begin the final painting. Our goal is to then move on to the North side to replace the bricked up windows and door assemblies.
Please view our Facebook page for updated photos from our work sessions.
Thank you
MADDOG
 #1481227  by MADDOG

From OBRM-
Even though I've been on vacation the past 2 weeks, doesn't mean our intrepid volunteers weren't hard at work.
The turntable has been completely fenced in with gates installed at key areas. Also the fencing has been installed between certain cars for safety sake.
The corner piece for the tender which has already been fabricated is now ready for installation. While this has been going on GE 25 tonner #398 has had more steel welded into place. It might be done by the end of the fall.
The Ping Pong Coach will have the steel floor inserts installed over the next few weeks.
The Historic Presidential RR Station has had the west wall brick work primed in grey and then fully painted red. Yes even the mortar lines were primed and painted as this is the way it appeared in 1902!
Photos are up on our Facebook page for Oyster Bay RR Museum.
 #1481481  by hondajohn

Here are some progress pictures of the rust repairs on LIRR 398's lower cab walls:
image000001.jpg
image000001.jpg (558.31 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
image000000_01.jpg
image000000_01.jpg (619.67 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
image000000_01.jpg
image000000_01.jpg (204.91 KiB) Viewed 4736 times