Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#14148  by JoeLIRR

Does any one have any info on the ROW of the cederhurst cutoff after it exits woodmear park.
also my uncle clames to have stumbled across some rail in that area, but i beleive that thre it no railroad remains other then the ROW it self.

#14204  by robertwa

I have a little information on the ROW of the Cedarhurst CutoffHERE.
 #14205  by BobLI

At the end of North woodmere park there are remains of a bridge that go over the creek there at the Queens border. From the pilings it seems to be level so it may be part of the row and the clearence above the water looks very small. Also the direction seems to be right for it to be part of the cutoff.
 #14208  by BobLI

Robertwa, that line you drew on the map at the end of the cutoff in cedarhurst is a bit off, the cutoff started at cedarhurst ave and curved through the now village hall parking lot. There is a house on park ave which was built on the cutoff entrance (the house isnt parallel to the street). Behind the house there is an open area where the cutoff ran. Btw those back yards on that block are huge(Linwood ave).

#14222  by robertwa

BobLI,

Yes, I know it's off. One of these days I'll get around to changing it -

Perhaps someone would like to contribute a better map of the Cedarhurst Cutoff ROW.
 #14301  by BobLI

Robert, I'll try to do 1 on a map and try to scan it and send it to you. No guarantees i'll be successful!!

#14383  by krispy

Look for a copy of the book about the Rockaway Beach Branch (Change at Ozone Park?), that had alot about the Cedarhurst line in it...