Railroad Forums 

• The Definative LIRR Steam Video

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#14047  by Paul

I posted this on the old board, so I will post it again. What is the best (if any) video or DVD showing LIRR steam action?

#14154  by Srnumber9

Unfortunately, there is no definitive steam video of the LIRR. Kind of weird too, you would figure such an active line in such a populous area would have miles of both amateur an professional film available for them to use in assembling video tapes and DVDs these days.

The LIRR has a strange anonimity when it comes to stuff like this.

(I mean, the two foot gauge lines up in Maine were out in the wilderness and were scrapped 60 years ago, but you can buy videos of them! Meanwhile the busiest passenger line on the continent has nothing.)

On the old forum somebody said there is a PRR steam video available which shows a couple of scenes on the LIRR, but as far as I know that's it.

Anybody know who's tape this is?

I had the rare pleasure of watching G5s in action last weekend, but they weren't LIRR G5s, and it wasn't video either. I collect railroad films and I managed to grab a nice Super-8 copy of Blackhawk's "Ten Wheeler to Duplex" last week on E-bay. Two PRR G5s lead the line up.

#14209  by jayrmli

The video in question is probably "Pennsylvania Glory - Vol. 1" by Herron Rail Video. While I'm not a big fan of the background music, the film footage is great, all shot by Benjamin Young, longtime president of LIST-NRHS. Half of the video is LIRR, half is PRR.

Mark I also had a LIRR steam tape, but again I believe there are PRR images as well. This one has canned train sounds as background, and some of the image quality isn't as good (shakiness), but in some respects the color is better and there's some interesting shots of the Lower Montauk in it.

Jay
 #14318  by Richard Glueck

During the 1960's, LIRR fan, Vincent Alvino, of Bayside, Queens, was making excellent LIRR films using Super 8 film. Vincent was an accomplished train photographer. I lost contact with him in the late 60's. He, no doubt, had reels and reels of MU and Diesel railroad operation in the Goodfellow years.