Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#14506  by N340SG

I also noticed that Newsday didn't put the collision at JO. And I'm not an operating department employee. Just ride every day.
No one at Newsday realized that the Amtrak train couldn't get to the low side of Penn from where they showed the accident?
Maybe they should have run their story by this forum, for technical editing, before they published it? :P
In fairness, of course, one cannot expect reporters at a newspaper to be an expert at every facet of every story they will ever report on. They have no idea of whose trains go to what tracks during rush hour.
The reporter most likely was shown his info by someone else, who should have known.

One of the TV news channels had LIRR President Dermody as "Carmody".
They mispronounced it, and I chuckled. Then they put it on the screen that way!

#14518  by N340SG

Phil,

Of course, the LIRR could always use someone with your talent.
Put in a resume, but listen very carefully to what job you may be offered. Some jobs start at 70% of scale, with a 5 year progression to full pay. Make sure you can take the hit, or have a reasonable chance of changing to another job after the required one year in craft has passed. College background, particularly in one of the engineering fields, definitely helps these days. (At least in M of E.)
If you do come aboard, you have to promise to pass through West Side, so I can pick your brain. And, I'll be glad to show you what little I know about the M-1 and M-3. :wink:

Tom
 #14550  by bingdude

Saw 9200 today, along with what must be the rest of the consist of that train. It is in the east part of HSF. It doesn't look that bad, but if the center sill is damaged that would be an expensive repair.

#14688  by badneighbor

a positive notice was posted on News 12, saying the LIRR does a safe job considering its size and volume. posted, and shwon on tv, sent by a guy named NIMBYkiller.... he's a TV star...

#14740  by JoeLIRR

Yup, i saw that question & the answer from NIMBYkiller. who'd ever think that they would have a railfans responce on TV. that is amasing, i hope the NIMBY(s) were watching that and saw the "name"
Good Job Nimbykiller
 #14742  by N340SG

I'm sure the LIRR and all safety-oriented parties involved would like a good look at the entire train, for one thing to see if/how forces were transferred to other cars in the consist.
For what it's worth, all the other cars' buffers and drawheads appeared OK to me. (cursory look.)
The 9200's center sill is cracked, though. That's not just rumor. I saw it.
That fact is also logged in the computer system. That should be the coup de gras for this car.
 #17737  by N340SG

Yep, it looks like 9200 is being put to pasture, along with it's mate. No real shocker.

All the due dates for PI, 3 year air brake, 6 year ATC changeout, etc., are missing from the computer system. First hint.

Then, we had a guest -host Gang Foreman from HMC in our shop last night, who confirmed that 9200 is being prepared for decommissioning.
If a car being decommissioned has such things as fairly new truck(s) or AC units, they take them out and put crappy ones in their place.
The cars do have to be sent largely intact, as we spoke about in the other thread.