Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1532039  by joetrain59

Hi,
Does anyone have any drawings, photo's, measurement of the smoke lifters used on the C420's?
Thanks.
Joe
 #1532056  by joetrain59

Thanks Steve. I'll see if anyone base a N scale 3D print from what's shown here, so far.
Joe
 #1532102  by RGlueck

I had to guess-ti-mate a set on my big C420. Sometimes that's all you can do, but for N scale, they're going to be mighty small anyway!
 #1532115  by joetrain59

I know what you mean Rich. Might just alter some styrene channel. I've got every release in LIRR that Atlas made.
Still have horns to move off the roof on some, too.
How is that huge C420 coming?
Joe
 #1532229  by Backshophoss

Find an HO scale model of the L-2 by Atlas in one of the LIRR schemes they did the lifters in HO scale!
 #1532231  by joetrain59

Well I model in N scale, but I'll have to get on Atlas' case to see if they are willing to make them in N.
Very intersting.
Thanks,
Joe D
 #1532248  by RGlueck

LIRR #206 at Pennsylvania Live Steamers.
LIRR #206 at Pennsylvania Live Steamers.
001.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 3854 times
She's done and running on my back yard line. I occasionally take her on the road, too. I'd like to bring her to LI Live Steamers, but the motels are priced out of sight for retirees. I should mention, several of us travel in a herd when we visit. I love to see LI power modeled.
I have some parts for a G5s in the garage, but not nearly enough to build one -yet. I am working on an FA1 at the moment, which will appear as a CNR unit. It should weigh about 700 pounds when finished.

-RDG
 #1532280  by joetrain59

Wow, that's awesome Rich. What's it powered by?
I contacted Atlas, no plans for N smoke lifters.
Joe
 #1532365  by RGlueck

The P54B seat car has two deep cycle auto batteries in parallel. These run to the controller of an electric wheel chair, which , in turn, runs two 24 volt electric motors, one on each truck.

For the FA1, I am going to use a similar power system, but I am hoping to get controls rigged up on a panel, with lever potentiometers, gauges, and directional controls. etc. The other option is R/C operation, but of this I know nothing!
 #1532641  by nyandw

joetrain59 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:32 am Thanks Steve. I'll see if anyone base a N scale 3D print from what's shown here, so far. Joe
Sorry, I forgot I had these posted: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/c420/C ... rrison.jpg
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/c420/C ... rrison.jpg ALCO dimensional C420 diagrams.
 #1532674  by RGlueck

Why did they choose high adhesion trucks for the L2 locos?
 #1535606  by nyandw

Backshophoss wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:48 pm Find an HO scale model of the L-2 by Atlas in one of the LIRR schemes they did the lifters in HO scale!
Provided by Al Castelli:
Attachments:
C420-smoke-lifters-Atlas-HO-scale_AlCastelli.jpg
C420-smoke-lifters-Atlas-HO-scale_AlCastelli.jpg (118.67 KiB) Viewed 3342 times