Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1535208  by DutchRailnut

maybe the paint booth was no longer EPA compliant ?? some of paints these days are highly toxic and need good ventilation and particle containment.
 #1535229  by Backshophoss

That is correct!
Morris Park was a steam era backshop,not set up to work with the Married Pair M-1's
Hillside Shop was built to work with married pair MU's,no paint booth in the design,barely maintains the C-3 fleet as is.

Not sure if the former shop site is on the EPA "superfund"list.
 #1535240  by DutchRailnut

EPA compliant has nothing to do with a EPA superfund site.
 #1535253  by photobug56

#backshophoss

I've long wondered why painted LIRR locos look so horrible and pitiful - they clearly never wash them, and now they don't ever repaint them. Another sign of their mediocrity.
 #1535260  by Backshophoss

LIRR barely does surface prep work,they just scrap off the loose material and then paint it over it.
There might be more than 6 layers of paint on the locos...... :( :(
Morris Park is the home of the diesel fleet,basically a running repair barn at best.
Hillside gets the C-3's for HVAC repairs,and interior repairs.,not their strong suite :( :( :(
Last edited by Backshophoss on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1535266  by photobug56

Backshophoss wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:16 pm LIRR barely does surface prep work,they just scrap off the loose material and then paint it over it.
There might be more than 6 layers of paint on the locos...... :( :(
Morris Park is the home of the diesel fleet,basically a running repair barn at best.
Hillside gets the C-3's for HVAC repairs,and interior repairs.,not their strong suite :( :( :(
Only tool they have for interior repairs is blue duct tape,and usually they're cheap on that! But when Helena was in charge, I was on the same C3 for 3 days in a row with one of the ac units dead. Conductor informed me that she reported it multiple times. I emailed Helena (when the mta.info site still had an email the president function) - next day the car was off that train, and Helena got back to me that it would be repaired. I got to know her a bit - she had zero tolerance for the non-stop screwups that we constantly encountered. I also reported one senior conductor who would hit me daily to wake me up to see the same monthly he'd seen for a couple weeks already - I saw him one more time, he kept his hands and body as far away from me as he could, and I never saw him again. Another conductor told me that the union considered him an embarrassment.

One time I told her about a crew that stopped making announcements past Jamaica. One night at my station, I suddenly realized I had to get off. Doors closed in my face, I hit the buzzer and intercomm. Train didn't move for about 30 seconds, and just as I saw a conductor slowly walking my way with a huge grin, the train very slowly pulled out. Conductor knew that many passengers didn't know they were at their station - you can't see out at night, and you had no clue where you were since they didn't announce anything. So once Helena heard about it, that crew was pulled off that run. She agreed with me that what they were doing was both nasty and unsafe, and she would not tolerate us.

I'm convinced that the reason she was pushed out was that she actually tried to run the railroad. Someone didn't like that.
 #1540546  by photobug56

Is 511 also out of service? Anyone know, overall, how good or bad the maintenance, repairs, PM, etc. is on LIRR locos? Considering how often I get notices of broken down trains in diesel country, some of course from broken doors, seems like the locos and cars are not in great shape.
 #1540556  by Pensyfan19

photobug56 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:01 pm Is 511 also out of service? Anyone know, overall, how good or bad the maintenance, repairs, PM, etc. is on LIRR locos? Considering how often I get notices of broken down trains in diesel country, some of course from broken doors, seems like the locos and cars are not in great shape.
Based on this forum, I would assume that ever since the Speonk crash in May last year, the engine got a bent frame and is sidelined as a parts engine. Unlikely to return to service as replacements for this engine, probably Siemens Chargers, will be testing soon. For further info on this engine, please see the first page of this discussion, and my top 15 DE/DM30AC List on youtube.
 #1559902  by Pensyfan19

One of my friends just caught footage of 511 at Morris Park and the tape on the doors was removed. The footage may be a bit blurry, but can anyone spot any differences with the locomotive? The dual mode chargers will take a while to arrive on the island, so is there any possibility of 511 being rebuilt?

#1566342  by Pensyfan19

Hello everyone.

I have recently been informed that as of today, 511 has been stripped of all useful parts and has been scrapped. Very sad to see yet another DM30AC gone for good, especially since 511 had a Dashing Dan logo on its right cab and was considered an unofficial heritage unit.

Here is a video showcasing this sticker.
 #1566566  by BuddR32

Pensyfan19 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 pm , especially since 511 had a Dashing Dan logo on its right cab and was considered an unofficial heritage unit.
Considered by whom?