Railroad Forums 

• MYLIRR.ORG Now Showing Car Capacity

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1525883  by MNCRR9000

I was taking a look at MYLIRR.org and noticed that under the car tab it is now showing which cars are at capacity and which ones have seats available. I think this is a great feature and was curious as to how the website it getting this information and how accurate it is.
Attachments:
08E220C3-07A9-43EF-9009-4E67C538A855.png
08E220C3-07A9-43EF-9009-4E67C538A855.png (167.54 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
 #1525963  by newkirk

Just wow, now through modern technology, we can guided to a car with available seating.

Are there sensors in the seats detecting if someone not sitting there ? lol
 #1526013  by gamer4616

SwingMan wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:41 pm Only on the M9s. The system will probably be broken in a few months and deemed too costly to repair as most gimmicks are.

It's coming soon to the M7's as well. Software is being installed on the M7's that will display the current weighted load of each individual car.
 #1526198  by KT3

Rather than showing the individual car numbers (eg, 9003, 9004, 9005, etc), wouldn't it be more useful to customers to show an indicator of each car (eg, Car 1, Car 2, Car 3) such as you see in many European stations? While I can see the appeal of showing the individual car numbers to train buffs, it's unlikely the average LIRR rider, who just wants to get from point A to point B on time, will understand that nuance.
 #1526223  by ExCon90

At least they can look at the cars to see the numbers on the sides--I'd say even fewer people would think to count the cars from the head end, especially if a train is already standing at the platform--and on the LI where 10-car trains are common. On SEPTA, which has a quiet car on each train of 3 or more cars, the conductor always announces the car number, which passengers can see from their seats.
 #1526713  by BuddR32

KT3 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:12 am Rather than showing the individual car numbers (eg, 9003, 9004, 9005, etc), wouldn't it be more useful to customers to show an indicator of each car (eg, Car 1, Car 2, Car 3) such as you see in many European stations? While I can see the appeal of showing the individual car numbers to train buffs, it's unlikely the average LIRR rider, who just wants to get from point A to point B on time, will understand that nuance.
Most riders have no clue what car they are in when it comes to 1st. 5th, 10th etc. This is proven daily by passengers running one way or another when their car doesn't platform at a particular station. While the car number is plainly displayed in multiple locations.
 #1526776  by Head-end View

It's a little less plainly displayed on the outside of the M-9's. Anyone else noticed how the number boards are smaller than on the M-7's? The ones on the M-7's look better. :(
 #1526909  by BuddR32

Head-end View wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:59 pm It's a little less plainly displayed on the outside of the M-9's. Anyone else noticed how the number boards are smaller than on the M-7's? The ones on the M-7's look better. :(
I think its because KRC used the same stampings as the M8 which doesnt have illuminated number boards. These on the M9 look like an afterthought. But still, I was referring to plainly displayed inside the car. If youve noticed theyre adding car number decals in 4 places inside the cars.
 #1526950  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

This is a topic that I will notice more than most others do being a rail equipment "numbers" guy.
Spotting numbers on rail cars is something I always look for in my train travels.

I am going to comment on each type of LIRR passenger equipment beginning with the new M9 cars
which have only the numberboard on each side above the cab window on the A end. These cars need at least
one added car number next to the first door on the outside. The destination signs do show what each car's
position (1st to 12th) in a given M9 train. The front number above the end door is a definite plus.

The M7 cars have the side number only on the light-up board above the A end cab window. These cars should have at
least one additional side number again on either side of the first door. For some reason M7 cars have car numbers on
the B end on both sides - black numerals on a rounded corner rectangle at almost the level of the car floor. Numbers
added inside the M7 cars are four up above on the seating sides of both vestibule areas.

The M3 cars have two numbers on each side - the numberboard and one in the stripe area next to the first pair of side
doors alongside the employees keyhole. This has been sufficient to spot car numbers - the retired M1 cars had the same
numbers in these locations. Front numbers have been added on the stripe below the door window beginning in the 1990s.

The C3 cars have had small numerals up top on the upper right corner of the car sides. The cab cars have larger helvetica
numerals in black on a white side numberboard - this is the size of the numerals that should have been used on the C3 fleet.
A front number is placed using the smaller numbers on the door below the window on the cab cars.

C3 cars should have a car number added and readable at the ends of both seating decks by placing a small sign or adding
numerals near both stairways. The only interior car numbers are located on both end doors and are not readable from
either deck unless the car end door is clearly visible from the vestibule areas.

MACTRAXX