Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1518850  by Teutobergerwald

Passed by Stony Brook LIRR station last night on -25A. Hadn't been out that way in a very long time. Anyway, very elaborate array of PRR-style position light signals controlling the vicinity. Nice to see there are still that type of signal in use.
 #1518875  by Head-end View

Enjoy them while you can. I won't mind if they're eventually replaced with full-size color-light signals, but I hope those dopey looking "Reduced Aspect Signals" used on the Main-Line from Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma aren't extended to the rest of the system.
 #1518935  by Teutobergerwald

Yes, and at the west end of the station controlling W/B movements. At the east end of the station, at the switch for the siding, there is also a stand-alone position-light signal. A lot of signals in a small area of railroad.
 #1519180  by Head-end View

Yeah, that would be sad. Imagine the Hicksville Station complex with all RAS signals.......... But plans sometimes change. Maybe this one will too.
 #1519309  by RGlueck

Who else remembers the semaphore signal at Stony Brook station? It was like a cool drink of water in a vast desert for us old guys.
 #1519428  by krispy

I'm sure they had a reason when they did it, I'm guessing probably sight-lines approaching the siding from varying elevations. Even Post (Smithtown) has PL's except for the east end pedestals. Enjoy it while it lasts...
 #1519435  by ExCon90

The 1957 map shows that Manual Block rules were in effect and the siding switches were hand-thrown; the signals in nyandw's link of Sept. 9 indicate that the siding (now designated a 2nd main track?) has an interlocked switch at each end and all movements are made on signal indication--no train orders necessary, and nobody has to get down on the ground to throw a switch and restore it afterwards. A quantum leap--19th to 20th century--in operating technology.
 #1519507  by fender52

I want to say that when I worked there, the signals with the order board were at the west end of the station right after the switch for the southside passing siding. That was back in the middle 70's and mind is probably going.

It is sad to see the new RAS signals being installed all over.

This is a picture I have from Bob Sturm showing the machines for BK and Frank LoBianco (Agent)
PICT002.gif
PICT002.gif (874.37 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
 #1519535  by ExCon90

The 1957 map shows two back-to-back position-light Manual Block signals "after 10-59" west of the station, so since you worked there after that your memory is fine.
 #1519563  by Backshophoss

BK was a part time block station.on the same mast was BK block limit station the P/L signal was turned off,and the BLS "Lanterns" were lit up
when the office was closed.
When the CTC went east to Port Jefferson,the passing siding switches went to power and the P/L signals showed up.