Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1513284  by nyandw

Safe-is-Smart-Coloring- Book_MTA-LIRR.jpg
Safe-is-Smart-Coloring- Book_MTA-LIRR.jpg (100.68 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
Anyone seen this one as to date of release, where to have obtained one, etc.

A few older ones follow:
Attachments:
coloring book 2.JPG
coloring book 2.JPG (88.23 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
LIRR-coloring-book-Metro-Man_c.1970's_Joanne Wishnoff.jpg
LIRR-coloring-book-Metro-Man_c.1970's_Joanne Wishnoff.jpg (53.36 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
 #1513296  by R36 Combine Coach

LIRR's mascot was once Metro Man, a name later "adopted" by Metro-North's mascot, a talking cyborg/robot that appears at events and schools to promote rail education and safety. (The first Metro Man was a M-1A, with the second a M-7A).
 #1513390  by nyandw

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:49 am LIRR's mascot was once Metro Man, a name later "adopted" by Metro-North's mascot, a talking cyborg/robot that appears at events and schools to promote rail education and safety. (The first Metro Man was a M-1A, with the second a M-7A).
Thank you, KW. Can you date it?
 #1513439  by mkm4

nyandw wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:58 pm Safe-is-Smart-Coloring- Book_MTA-LIRR.jpg Anyone seen this one as to date of release, where to have obtained one, etc.
Shouldn't the dad look angry, because it looks like they just missed the train?
 #1513498  by Kelly&Kelly

The top and bottom ones were illustrated by LIRR Public Affairs Rep. Don Malone. Don was a prolific artist and produced most of the Railroad's artwork throughout the mid 60's, 70's and early '80's.
 #1513743  by nyandw

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 am The top and bottom ones were illustrated by LIRR Public Affairs Rep. Don Malone. Don was a prolific artist and produced most of the Railroad's artwork throughout the mid 60's, 70's and early '80's.
You are referring to the two color items I posted?

More Malone material:
Jamaica Station umbrella tag c.1985 This was a program in the mid-80's to lend out the thousands of unclaimed lost and found umbrellas. It lasted perhaps a year, until all the lent umbrellas were stolen or lost. The work of public relations man Don Malone.

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrpa ... oehler.jpg
Back in the early 1970's the LIRR was on a safety campaign much like today's Operation Lifesaver. This item is a book cover. Back in my school days we were required to cover our text books with either brown paper or an accepted book cover. They came to schools with a demonstration, and also gave out freebies to the students., one of which was the book cover pictured. How I managed to save it all these years is a miracle! I used it to cover my Electrical Installation notebook. I attended a vocational high school and it seemed appropriate for me to use a LIRR book cover, as I was a railfan even back then, on my way to becoming an electrician. Info: Mike Kubiak

PDtower.jpg (90842 bytes)Most of the LIRR's art through the '70 and '80's, was drawn by Don Malone. He had a trademark way of drawing people's hands. Note the kid waiting at the railroad crossing and compare it with any of Don's drawings.

Don worked in Public Affairs back when it was called Public Relations and had a staff of three.
 #1513746  by Kelly&Kelly

"Safe is Smart" and "Long Island Rail Road Coloring Book" were Don Malone creations. The Worlds Fair book was drawn by Ronald Wing, licensed by the Worlds Fair.

Don Malone's son became a block operator.
 #1513748  by nyandw

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:05 pm"Safe is Smart" and "Long Island Rail Road Coloring Book" were Don Malone creations. The Worlds Fair book was drawn by Ronald Wing, licensed by the Worlds Fair. Don Malone's son became a block operator.
Thank you. I when add the information.