Railroad Forums 

• LIRR/PGA Championship 2019 questions

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1507886  by BM6569

Hi all,

We had a thread for the US Open last year so I figured I'd start one for this year's event. Some info has been posted finally. http://web.mta.info/lirr/PGAChampionship/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll be going again, staying in Wading River. I'd like to drive to Ronkonkoma and take the train to Farmingdale. I can't recall, what's the deal with the parking garage? You have to pay to use it, right? Take a ticket when you enter and pay when you leave? I'll try to get there early Saturday morning but if the parking lot is full, would I be safe parking in the garage all day? I'll be doing the same on Sunday.

Thanks
 #1507920  by MACTRAXX

BM:

On Saturday and Sunday there will be parking available in the surrounding lots at Ronkonkoma.
There should be no need to use the parking garage on weekends.

Make sure that you allow enough time to purchase two round trips before boarding for each day.
The cost will be $12 each ($24) for two Ronkonkoma-Farmingdale round trips. The penalty fare
either on board or at the gate in Farmingdale will be $12 one way meaning that the penalty of
$6 is exactly the same as the regular pre-paid one way fare from Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale.
The ticket office is open at Ronkonkoma on weekends.

Don't forget to check the security requirements to see what will be permitted to be carried on
the grounds - so you don't bring anything that may delay getting out on to the course.

This will be an interesting week for the LIRR. I hope to take at least one ride to Farmingdale
myself on one of the days...MACTRAXX
 #1508064  by BM6569

Thanks. I know it's tough to find a spot during the week and I wasn't sure about weekends. The PGA sent me a list of restricted items so I'll look it over. Wonder if LIRR will have a booth again? I took a pic of the one at the US Open. Still need to send it to Steve!
 #1508905  by CentralValleyRail

Was there yesterday....

Left NYP on the 10:16am everyone at PENN had seats. by Jamaica it was SRO. Busses met us at Farmingdale about a 10 minute ride to the gate.

Coming back got a shuttle bus that arrived in at Farmingdale at 8:10pm and there was a train waiting there (it turned out to be an extra train) and we left 1 minute after it pulled in... Made stops at Bethpage, Hicksville, Mineola, Jamaica and Penn Station. (might've made Woodside but I honestly don't remember)

Was pretty seemless and well run UNLIKE last year's Shinnecock where the inbounds went all local taking almost 4 hours back to Penn.
 #1509150  by CentralValleyRail

Went again on Sunday... Went out on regular scheduled 9:16 train. Seats were available all the way to Farmingdale. There was no Mineola stop (which was surprising given how many people got on during the week and yes I know it's not scheduled to stop there, but trains on the return were making plenty of not posted stop).

Returned to Farmingdale around 8:05.. Left at 8:15 on an EXTRA. Plenty of seats.(waited for crowds to die down, hung out in club after the round so can't comment how bad bus lines were immediately after round)

They were running trains about every 10-15 minutes after the round (per conductor on platform).

There was a train that departed before us as we were coming in at 8:05 or so that was an M3 so that was pretty cool to see.

All in all was run well..
 #1509271  by BM6569

I was there both days as well. They were running the normal schedule and an extra 13 minutes after.

When we got to Farmingdale, we got off and they had us go through the metal detectors before boarding the bus. There were definitely a lot more people taking the train that driving to the lot at Jones Beach. I barely saw anyone getting off or on the coach busses taking people to/from the parking area.

Heard someone say 90% of the train passengers were coming from the west. That could be. It was a pretty quick trip from the platform. Then through a group of conductors to make sure your tickets were punched. They added a third punch at that time. Then through the detectors then onto the bus. As we boarded it on Saturday, a westbound had arrived and there were tons more people getting off and forming lines for the detectors.

A LIRR worker was passing out these baseball card sized schedule of departing times so I took one, then realized it didn't apply to me as it only had service to Penn Station on it. They had special timetables they were passing out as well. I grabbed one of each to mail to Steve. And there was a LIRR booth at the grounds, which I snapped a pic of for the website.

On the way home, they had another group of conductors punching everyones tickets before they got on the train. The train we took back each day happened to not be the extra so it had plenty of passengers from Penn. We were able to find a seat both days.
 #1509506  by CentralValleyRail

BM6569 wrote:I was there both days as well. They were running the normal schedule and an extra 13 minutes after.

When we got to Farmingdale, we got off and they had us go through the metal detectors before boarding the bus. There were definitely a lot more people taking the train that driving to the lot at Jones Beach. I barely saw anyone getting off or on the coach busses taking people to/from the parking area.

Heard someone say 90% of the train passengers were coming from the west. That could be. It was a pretty quick trip from the platform. Then through a group of conductors to make sure your tickets were punched. They added a third punch at that time. Then through the detectors then onto the bus. As we boarded it on Saturday, a westbound had arrived and there were tons more people getting off and forming lines for the detectors.

A LIRR worker was passing out these baseball card sized schedule of departing times so I took one, then realized it didn't apply to me as it only had service to Penn Station on it. They had special timetables they were passing out as well. I grabbed one of each to mail to Steve. And there was a LIRR booth at the grounds, which I snapped a pic of for the website.

On the way home, they had another group of conductors punching everyones tickets before they got on the train. The train we took back each day happened to not be the extra so it had plenty of passengers from Penn. We were able to find a seat both days.
Both days the people punching tickets on the return waved us thru to get us on the train since they wanted to leave ASAP and they never collected the tickets after that once on the train, so I was able to get a free trip out of it, lol...
 #1509638  by nyandw

[quote="BM6569"] "A LIRR worker was passing out these baseball card sized schedule of departing times so I took one, then realized it didn't apply to me as it only had service to Penn Station on it. They had special timetables they were passing out as well. I grabbed one of each to mail to Steve."

Super, thanks. PM on this. :-)